jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What does the American dream mean to you?

1. calpol25 profile image69
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

What does the American dream mean to you?

I know what your thinking, why would a british guy ask this question? But I really want to know because to some people it is a life of freedom, to others its about making money and being rich and comfortable. I am just eager to find out people's responses to this as it is an individual thing. smile

2. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 6 years ago

On a somewhat cynical note, the American Dream has become to live on the dole...can we all move to Britain?  If you read the comic strip, Andy Capp, and give it an American twist, I believe that sums us up as a nation.  Of course, individuals have considerably varied dreams; mine would be to see spiritual revival and awakening similar to the Great Awakenings of the 19th century.
    Is there a British Dream these days?

3. INFJay profile image81
    INFJayposted 6 years ago

The American dream is the pursuit of the mythical El Dorado and only becomes a reality once each American, by birth or immigration, determines what makes them happy and pursues goals to achieve that happiness. It is an individual dream ranging from attaining riches to surviving in a land of opportunity.

4. Hui (蕙) profile image80
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

I am Chinese, and I made a promise to myself and to all my families and friends that I will never give up my Chinese citizenship or try to be an American citizen, but I have to go to that country across Pacific ocean to achieve my final goal, i.e. to be a real scientist and a writer. Really, the United States is not perfect. American thinking way has created a lot trouble in humans, but it is also American thinking way that created modern civilization, and developed human intelligence on the maximum level, at least by so far. Actually, there are a lot things we have to admit. Going to there to experience life means knowing about a new thinking way and broadening view.

5. calpol25 profile image69
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

Thank you all for responding your answers are brilliant...

@ Civil War Bob - our dream is just the same too, mainly living on the dole and benefits, the government does not really care about the poor peoples suffering because they are more concerned with the financial and business dealings. They are slowly becoming more and more right wing and it is not nice to watch what is going on, however hopefully someone will step in and sort it out soon. smile

6. YvetteParker profile image75
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

When I think of the American dream, the first word that comes to mind is FREEDOM. We enjoy so many freedoms in this country on so many different levels that facilitate the realization of all of our other dreams and aspirations. If not for freedom and the liberties that we have in America, our dreams would be nonexistent.

working