jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can a wrong question receive a correct answer?

1. Jynzly profile image73
    Jynzlyposted 6 years ago

Can a wrong question receive a correct answer?

I have noticed here a lot of wrong questions pertaining religion-philosophy-way of life. These are three different categories in a person's life that are usually mixed up in a question. Religion pertains God and all purely Spiritual matters. Philosophy pertains lofty thoughts of universal truth that is nature's gift to a few specially gifted people. "Way of life" is Psychological and Social set-up that are observable in a particular culture and people.
    To sum up: Religion=God, Philosophy=Universal truth, Way of life= Science of Psychology and Sociology...
    These three cannot mix

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

What are you really asking then?

3. Jynzly profile image73
    Jynzlyposted 6 years ago

That is the question. you can answer yes or no to it and support your answer. that's all.

4. PhiMaths ATB profile image61
    PhiMaths ATBposted 6 years ago

The way I see it, any answer to a 'wrong' question, which which I'm taking to be a question involving a false premise, explicit or otherwise, would be vacuously true.

5. kwade tweeling profile image90
    kwade tweelingposted 5 years ago

First off; it sounds like you are answering your question. Perhaps this would be better as a hub than a question in that case.

Second; to obtain a single answer, breaking it down can be useful. Knowing the right question is critical to getting the answer you are seeking. Knowing what you need to know then becomes the question. What it is you are asking can only be answered within the confines of the question. Conversely, if you are not specific, the answer you receive can be horribly vague.

Lastly; the conclusion you have drawn is one of the things I find utterly deplorable about our current set of social, religious, and scientific ideals. We tend to think that in order to answer questions we must narrow the field as much as possible. "Because things in the realm of God could not possibly be explained by science and vice-verse."  I feel we need to shed this idea. Until we learn that all things are connected, and all truths from all perspectives are intermingled in this symphony we call life, we will remain in the dark with a tiny flashlight we call perspective.

Maybe then we will be able to stop fighting over our beliefs. For fighting never brings understanding of anything but the battle.

Oh, and I almost forgot! A wrong question can have a right answer. It just isn't the answer you're looking for.

working