jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the ultimate meaning of suffering?

1. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 6 years ago

What is the ultimate meaning of suffering?

In a world without spiritual beliefs or religion, one's suffering does not mean much beyond itself, your predicament is only worsened by this realization that your demolition as a human being will never  mean anything, that you suffer for nothing.

2. mackyi profile image67
    mackyiposted 6 years ago

Any condition or situation that causes physical and mental anguish.

3. SonQuioey10 profile image81
    SonQuioey10posted 6 years ago

I don't think there's a meaning to suffering because not everyone does it. I think  when someone suffers they either learn something or they don't.

4. wayseeker profile image92
    wayseekerposted 6 years ago

There are those who live in a world without spiritual beliefs or religion.  I used to be one of them.  I am no longer.  Therefore, my response comes from the perspective of one who follows Jesus.  I fully understand that there are many who believe I am, therefore, living in a world of make believe.  This is fair, but it does not change what I believe...

We suffer because we have been given the freedom to choose.  Unfortunately, the consequences of this freedom are that we reap the results of our choices and, sadly, the choices of those around us.  When those choices run against the way that God designed us, then things go wrong and we create suffering for ourselves and everyone around us. 

The hope lies in that we can learn from the suffering and, with the help of Jesus, understand once again that there is a right path to follow.  Learning to walk that path will lead us to an understanding of our true purpose.

This is why we suffer.

5. My Minds Eye53 profile image60
    My Minds Eye53posted 6 years ago

Being religious, for me it would be the absence of God.  I was taught that is what hell is, knowing God but never being allowed to see his face or feel his touch ever.

6. Gloshei profile image58
    Glosheiposted 6 years ago

You can suffer so many different ways in life from something so minor it is not worth mentioning, or from something more serious that you find it difficult to talk about..
    It depends on the individual's situation. At this present time I think more people are suffering through poverty, and being homeless now these poor people suffer in silence who have they got to talk too?.

working