jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you believe the theory that to be a good artist, you have to suffer and strug

1. Anishpat profile image79
    Anishpatposted 5 years ago

Do you believe the theory that to be a good artist, you have to suffer and struggle for your art?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6716015_f260.jpg

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Not necessarily, because sometimes great art comes when someone sees the beauty or any number of other elements in life.  The tormented person often can't see much beyond his torment.  I think art requires a person to have depth.  Torment and suffering can sometimes "freeze" a person's inner growth to the point where he may not develop the kind of depth required to be the best artist he could be.

As with the plants that grow where conditions are optimum, people tend to grow when conditions are optimum as well.  I think people can learn and  "grow depth" from suffering, but I think they often need to have at least grown "general depth" in order to best know how what to do with what they've learned from suffering.

3. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 5 years ago

No, but is often satd that blues were created by the suffering of the slaves.

4. cruelkindness profile image73
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

No, Its just easier to be noticed creating your art with pain or misery. people are just interested and entertained by seeing another persons sorrow expressed.  I guess its the easiest type of emotion to relate to.  We sure do know when we are miserable and many people never experience true happiness, so it would be hard for people to make that same connection with that state of happiness to relate. 

That's just my personal opinion.

Cruelkindness (Subliminally Thoughtless)

5. Grim Master profile image60
    Grim Masterposted 5 years ago

I don't think everyone has to struggle with their art to be a good artist. I think many artists already struggle with their lives and combating their demons before they start to take up a brush or pencil. For something to be good, perhaps it requires a little suffering because you are putting a piece of yourself into this picture?

6. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Although this has been the case in past centuries, it does not necessarily have to be when the student receives good training and works hard in the field. Art schools have several programs of instruction that prepares the artist for commercial art work and several other areas that are needed in advertising and other business needs.
    As an artist, I have learned to avoid comparing myself to others and do my own thing. I enter shows and exhibit whenever I can. I have a business card and a portfolio of my work that can be shown to possible clients.There are many successful artists in portrait art and one need not be required to suffer more than any other job seeker in today's world.

7. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 5 years ago

My personal opinion is people should not suffer or struggle over art.  I can see how art might be an expression of a trying time someone is going through, but I prefer art as a refuge from all the more gritty aspects of reality.  I like to draw my happy Buster dog, or a beautiful landscape.  It is a bit of joy for me, and as I have aged I have learned you have to take your happiness where you can get it.

8. Briar-Rose profile image59
    Briar-Roseposted 5 years ago

I think it most definitely would make one appreciate the triumph if given the opportunity to succeed after struggling to get there. It all depends on the art I suppose, Some people need raw emotions to create, others are content and can produce anything that crosses their imagination.

9. Boots Iacono profile image78
    Boots Iaconoposted 5 years ago

I find when I am completely happy in my life I have to look for inspiration off of others.  When I am struggling while being in a rut, thats when I can bring out the best of what I have inside from my own inspiration.

working