jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Has the warmer than usual winter in much of the US contributed to more illness?

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

Has the warmer than usual winter in much of the US contributed to more illness?

This year where I live we have seen very little freezing temperatures and barely any snow etc.  This year has been terrible for viruses making the rounds and I was wondering if it's coincidence? or could the warmer than usual winter have something to do with all the strep, flu and other viruses being so rampant in our area?

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

I doubt it.  We also experienced a mild and relatively snowless winter this year, but have been much healthier this year than the cold and snowy winter last year. 

The three things that appear to cause an uptick in illness during the winter are:   lowered Vitamin D levels due to no sun exposure, being in close contact with sick people due to cold temperatures forcing people to stay inside for long periods of time, and dried out noses that allow germs to enter the respiratory system readily. 

Since it was warm this winter, less time has been spent inside this winter, so one would expect to see LESS illnesses not more.  I don't see the warm temperatures this year promoting growth of germs or allowing them to live longer and infect more people, since germs are mainly transmitted indoors, where it is warm regardless of the outside temperatures.

3. shesacraftymom profile image76
    shesacraftymomposted 6 years ago

I don't think so, but here (Georgia) we've had more sinus infections and allergies earlier than normal. It's been very unseasonably warm here.

4. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

I've heard that the flu has been much less than ever before.  They aren't sure why but think it is the warm weather.