jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Subconscious clock: Why can some people regularly wake up moments before the ala

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

Subconscious clock: Why can some people regularly wake up moments before the alarm clock rings?

How can you set your subconscious clock? or is it something else?

2. thisiknow profile image61
    thisiknowposted 6 years ago

I have ‘Chronic Migraine’ so when I wake up in the morning my head is pounding. The only thing worse than waking up with a migraine, -is waking up with a migraine to the scream of an alarm clock! That has to be one of the worse sounds in the world, -even for someone who doesn’t have a constant headache. Also, I am almost positive that jerking awake in a sudden panic can not be good for your heart!
    And now to answer your question… I trained myself to wake up 30 minutes before my alarm goes off. I then doze off and wake up ten minutes later. Sometimes I will doze off a second time and again, wake up ten minutes later then turn off my alarm before it buzzes.
    I did this by telling myself repeatedly that I will wake up at 7:00 am, -as I am setting the alarm for 7:30 am. I did that every night until, to my amazement,  it actually began working! That was a few years ago. I still tell myself what time I will wake up in the morning on the nights that I set my alarm clock, and it still works.

3. Melissa A Smith profile image97
    Melissa A Smithposted 6 years ago

I don't have an alarm clock. I am somehow always able to wake up exactly at the designated time I want to, even if it's different on certain days.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have no idea how I do it, or if I can change it but I always wake up before the alarm - every day.  But would be afraid to leave it to chance - just in case.

5. topquark profile image80
    topquarkposted 6 years ago

I don't know, but I always wake up 15-20 minutes before the alarm goes off. It's only on the days when I set an alarm - at the weekend I sleep longer. I guess your subconscious knows that you have to get up so wakes you up at about the right time. If I have to get up for something really important (like a flight or appointment), I'll wake up several times during the hour or two before my alarm goes off. I guess to train yourself you need to think about getting up before you go to sleep, then it roots itself into your subconscious.

6. fordie profile image74
    fordieposted 6 years ago

Thank you for asking. I'd love to know how I do it.