jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

I don't speak Spanish. What phrases should I learn before I go to Mexico?

1. bankscottage profile image94
    bankscottageposted 6 years ago

I don't speak Spanish.  What phrases should I learn before I go to Mexico?

I will be going to rural (non-tourist) Mexico for a few days.  I don't speak Spanish.  What are some important phrases I should learn before I go?

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Most Mexicans speak English. The government has recommended we not travel to Mexico  because it is too dangerous right now with the drug cartels running amok.  Please be careful.

3. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 6 years ago

"Por favor" - please
    "Gracias" - thank you
    "Mas despasio por favor" - more slowly please (if someone is speaking rapid fire spanish at you)

As duffsmom said below the govt is currently recommending no travel to Mexico due to the current dangers with the cartels.
    I do have to disagree w/ her on most Mexicans speaking English thoguh.  This is true in teh cities and touristy areas but not in rural areas.  When I traveled in rural parts of the Yucatan and Veracruz province there were definitely very few English speakers.  In fact, when I was in a village in the mountains in Veracruz, some of the elderly people didn't even speak Spanish and one had never heard of English! (They only spoke their local indigineous language)

1. bankscottage profile image94
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly what I ran into.  In Los Soldados no one spoke English and one older man, even the people that spoke Spanish didn't understand him.

4. bankscottage profile image94
    bankscottageposted 6 years ago

Gracias!

I am going to rural Veracruz where my son and other graduate students are working on an archeological dig.  He actually had one woman feed him dinner to get him to teach her grandson English.

My son says, don't worry.  He knows the most important Spanish phrase.  He know how to order another beer.

The U.S. Gov't. puts out the warning and then the President sends his daughter there for a class trip.  I guess the place is a lot safer with 25 secret service agents with you.

5. AnnaCia profile image83
    AnnaCiaposted 6 years ago

First, let me tell you that it is always fun to go to places where you have to try speaking another language.  If you are not going alone, it will be fun.
    Tips:
    1.  Make some cards with phrases written in Spanish and English.  This helps a lot.
    2.  Have with you a small notebook to sketch if needed or write information.

Ok, some words and phrases for you:
    Agua - water
    Por favor- please
    Gracias - thank you
    Como llego a... - How do I get to...
    Tengo hambre - I am hungry

There is a wonderful hub regarding pronunciation that can help you a lot:  Spanish Lesson- Alphabet and Pronunciation
    bigdogacb.hubpages.com

Wish you the best - te deseo lo mejor

working