What are your best tips for helping tooth fillings to last as long as possible?

1. oceansnsunsets profile image88
    oceansnsunsetsposted 6 years ago

What are your best tips for helping tooth fillings to last as long as possible?

I know a lot of people whose fillings fall out over the course of their life.  It happened to me last year, and I was shocked.  I worry about doing whatever I did to make the first one fall out, but not sure what to avoid.

2. andreasmith185 profile image57
    andreasmith185posted 6 years ago

Well for sure, if you are a "grinder" you would want to get a mouth guard so that you don't wear your fillings down while grinding your teeth at night.

3. parwatisingari profile image59
    parwatisingariposted 6 years ago

Oceansunset you are inviting a dental material session!
    Anyways,
    It is not your responsibility to ensure that your filling stays in place unless you are the dentist doing the filling.
    Depending on which tooth, though aesthetically not so inviting I would recommend you opt for a metal filling they last for about 15-20yrs. the 5yr span depends on your wear and tear, I mean of the teeth, the load on the teeth and finally the acid levels of your mouth.
    If you are a grinder as andrea says you need to attend to that, for that is a stress indicator the stress could be physical/mental or inherited body dynamics.

working