jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think history learned in school is relevant to history itself?

1. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

Do you think history learned in school is relevant to history itself?

(Have you learned more about history since you left full-time education, or do you think your lessons answered - all - your questions?)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6446583_f260.jpg

2. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

As a teacher for many years, I saw how historical data was often changed from the real world to suit a particular time or for a special purpose. There was always just enough facts mixed with fiction, or even fantasy, and sometimes what we take as real life is not. After seeing many early characters in early American history and what was written in the history books, and later in life as an adult, and when I could have an opportunity to scrutinize and search for more facts, I have come to the conclusion that much that we accept as historical fact is changed by whoever wanted to have a better outcome or description, than was true to life.I believe that kids are given a fairly accurate history in the pages of their books today, and perhaps later, if they desire, they may research more fully about topics to get a more truthful and complete story.I would like to think that I did a good job on the subjects that I have taught over the years.

3. aliciaharrell profile image75
    aliciaharrellposted 5 years ago

I believe the History taught in our educational system delivers an excellent introduction to History. This delivers students an appreciation of a field they might not otherwise be exposed.

As someone who studied History on the collegiate level, I can attest to have been given a greater understanding to the important significance this field offers. Looking back, I see that my majoring in this field expanded my comprehension of all that encompasses History, but I did indeed require the earlier exposure in school to keep up on the collegiate level.

After college, on my own, due to my great love for History which I contribute to my history teachers in elementary, Jr. and Sr. High School, I have learned a great deal more which led me toward other fields of interest such as Archaeology, Linguistics and Anthropology. Through History and these other fields overtime I have learned very much about our country and world's past; very fascinating!

Yes, the History we learn in school is relevant. It gives us an appreciation and a greater understanding toward what has happened before present day. Knowing what occurred historically (yesterday), can bring about a better today and tomorrow.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

History taught in the lower grades is not always accurate. It is more often stories to demonstrate conditions at a certain time.

High school history gets too hung up on details without looking at the causes and results. Plus, when I was in high school, we barely got to WWII. I graduated in 1969.

In college, depending on your professor you can learn the impact of history, lean why things did or did not happen and learn how to form conclusions.

I took a course in Recent American History in 1972--not so recent any more--and the final exam question was to compare and contract the Korean Conflict and Vietnam war. You had to know the subject matter. You could not just say, two countries were divided and fought each other.

working