jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do incompetent people tend to rate their ability much higher than it actuall

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

Why do incompetent people tend to rate their ability much higher than it actually is?

And do competent people tend to rate their ability much lower than it actually is?

2. lav-senior profile image59
    lav-seniorposted 5 years ago

Incompetent people are generally in the public sector so have the necessary time on their hands to rate their every move; the competent among us are in the private sector where our time to assess our abilities amount to a 12 minute lunch break & frankly, we need this time to inhale our food and return to our desks.

3. nisargmehta profile image82
    nisargmehtaposted 5 years ago

I believe, incompetent people spent more time in representing their skills in better ways then competent ones who rather chose to dig in for more knowledge and so dint have skills or presentations skills, enough to justify or express their level of knowledge, when required.
    this can be simply explained as even though you have more knowledge regarding any subject but if you are not able to put it on the piece of paper during exam in proper manner, you are discriminated as less competent and low on knowledge

4. Ann1Az2 profile image66
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

Funny how that works. My mother had a phenomenal skill at oil painting, yet she never thought she was good at it. On the other hand, I knew a man who wasn't all that great at playing the guitar, but insisted on playing with a rather well-known band.

Perhaps incompetent people have superiority complexes and so they make up for it by claiming they have superior abilities, while actually having a feeling of being inferior.