jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What's the purpose of giving people advice if they dismiss the information?

1. JBrumett profile image61
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

What's the purpose of giving people advice if they dismiss the information?

Someone asked a medical question (I spent 10 years in the medical field.) I answered it because it was a procedure I've actually done on patients multiple times, and they marked me down a point for it.  =-P

2. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

If you gave advice in response to a question, be pleased with yourself that you offered your help.  If someone rejects your answer, don't get upset.  It's that person's choice to reject wisdom from you or from anyone else.  Your effort is not wasted; you gave him or her a lifeline out of ignorance.  You did a good deed!

JBrumettposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yep, true.  I just thought it was odd and funny when I saw it.  Thanks for the comment.

3. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 5 years ago

Welcome to the internet! Home of the haters!

True Enough.  =-P  Thanks.

4. Sarah Christina profile image83
    Sarah Christinaposted 5 years ago

I have found that in my experience, if you don't give the answer the person was looking for or if your answer challenges their own ideas/beliefs about something, they will tend to reject it. Also, if your answer is perceived by them as "condescending" or "holier than thou" they may get offended. Some people are threatened by those who are more knowledgeable, experienced or intelligent than them.

Yeah, that's why I refrain from writing any medical Hubs and just stick to other stuff.  I guess I should have done the same in the Q&A section.  =-P  Thanks.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

It might not necessarily have been the person who asked the question who voted it down...anyone can. I have asked questions and others have given an answer I thought was okay the thumbs down.

Yeah, I considered that too.  Still fairly certain it wasn't.   =-P  Thanks.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image85
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

True...sometimes you just know...it's happened to me

6. darkland profile image61
    darklandposted 5 years ago

Don't be too offended. This person isn't a peer so you needn't take it as a professional affront. As you probably know, people often have a lot of emotions connected with any medical situation. It will probably help them later or when they have gathered more information.  They might even have the decency to thank you later.

If they do research it and come back, then I'll ask for five dollars for services rendered.  =-P Just Kidding

Closed to reply

working