jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Are you self-centered? Is that good or bad? How do you handle it?

1. algarveview profile image90
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

Are you self-centered? Is that good or bad? How do you handle it?

2. hi friend profile image61
    hi friendposted 5 years ago

I am not self-centered.  It depends on person to person.

3. sriparna profile image82
    sriparnaposted 5 years ago

I think I am self-centered to some extent. I am a private person, draw my energy from my own ideas and thoughts and my self-esteem comes from my professional pride, my sincerity and honest personality. I do not care much about what people think about me, I do not want to make effort to be liked by all or make an attempt to remain cool or accepted by my peer group. I like to be myself, get along well with everyone but forge intense relationship with only a few selected ones, I am happy that way. My colleagues and family members love me this way and in one of the team building workshops in our school, when we were supposed to write something about each of the other members, I was pleasantly surprised that so many of them had written the word "genuine" for me. I don't think being self-centered is bad, can depend on situation at times, but it can be taken positively.

4. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6941054_f260.jpg

Everyone is self centered. To deny it is delusional. It is an inherent human trait. The secret to balance is, "Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, WD, I needed to hear that today. My attitude toward a hub I'm writing now just changed smile

5. TCaro profile image86
    TCaroposted 5 years ago

The answer depends on what you mean by self-centered. If you are someone that looks out for yourself and always wants the best deal personally and professionally, you are definitely looking out for yourself which is a good thing. If you are a narcissist then you are self-centered in a very negative and self-defeating way.

6. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

there is a difference between self-centered and arrogant.  Self-centered is actually healthy.  It means you put yourself as a priority and take care of your own needs so that you are better able to meet the needs of those who depend on you.  We are often taught, especially women, if you focus on yourself it is "selfish" in a bad way.  The result is a lot of people who give so much of themselves away to others and to things outside of themselves they spend their lives feeling chronically drained and uninspired - just going through the motions.  Those of us who put ourselves as a high priority in meaningful ways - meaning we care for our health, we do things we enjoy etc. live richer, more meaningful lives.  I say this from experience - i used to be the complete opposite and couldn't understand why no matter how much I gave, I always felt empty... It's because I was going about it all wrong wink Fulfill yourself first, and then you are overflowing and that extends out to others. 

Now if you mean self-centered as in an always "me first everyone else behind me" attitude, or someone who is a classic narcissist who has no empathy for others - then no, that isn't healthy and I choose not to associate with such people.

7. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

In the beginning, one has to be very selfish and self centered. To impose the discipline on oneself requires tenacity and act of will.

The establishment of peace within oneself is paramount. It is both very selfish and selfless at the same time. Only one who is still can impart stillness unto others, and to rediscover the stillness, one has to be very selfish in disciplining oneself.

8. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

I've noticed---purely observation---people who say they aren't self-centered usually are; people who say they're self-centered usually aren't....

9. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Yes. Good and bad. I don't get hurt emotionally or physically usually. Sometimes I get lonely. To help this, a few cat's helped and now I'm never alone. Also, getting married helps.

working