jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Can a person be so self-centered that do really do not see how selfish they are?

1. RJ68 profile image61
    RJ68posted 6 years ago

Can a person be so self-centered that do really do not see how selfish they are?

It really amazes me about some people who talk about themselves constantly.  Every conversation is about me, me, me, me, me.  So I really try to see if this person know he is doing it or does know but doesn't care. How can everything be about a person.  Is there a root to the self centeredness.  I would like to think so to excuse the behavior but I really don't know.

2. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

I think yes some people tend to think the world revovles around them when in truth that isnt so theese people are very hard to reach but they just as anyone can change if there willing I think alot of the additude is how they were brought up and past experinces they just need to humble themselves to learn other ways of thinking

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

yes narcissistic personality types tend to do this.  Also, it seems to be in general people tend to be more isolated or into themselves in modern times.  Sitting and having long conversations has given way to tweets and texts etc. I think we forget how to communicate effectively sometimes. 

You don't really have to excuse self-centered behavior however and you can gently point it out.  If they take it to heart they may learn to better control themselves.  If they don't and just get angry perhaps they aren't very good company anyway.  smile

4. mdiggs1234 profile image76
    mdiggs1234posted 6 years ago

Oh..definitely yes...that is half the people who have a high career position or alot of money......it is a deep-rooted blindness that only God can fix.....It's not them...it's you....I try to avoid these kind of people if I can.....

5. RJ68 profile image61
    RJ68posted 6 years ago

you are so right.  everything is justifying where they are concerned.  They are seeking God I'm told but I still see no change.  I wonder do they make it about God relating to themselves as well.  Calling on God and asking him to help you change if you have a made up mind to want to change.  Not just expecting a change and you are still doing the same ole things.

6. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

You're lucky that they are just yakking. In this small town is a son of a cop and so thinks he can do anything and get away with it (he's right) so whereever he goes the person who invites him into their apartment gets in trouble with the respective apartment managers for noise and troublemaker goes on to the next neighbor to be loud and hit woman while their backs are turned.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Yes. Look up examples of narsassists. They have no clue how irritating or horrible they are. It's just like Jersey Shore. The show is the perfect example of narsassists all bunked together. They live for themselves, enjoy way too much, have plenty of pride for no reason, and live off of society or what they believe society thinks of them. No matter what you say, they will still believe everyone thinks they are awesome. This happens to the point when I just want to beat them over the head repeatively and yell, "if everyone likes you why am I doing this you ..." with more negative commentary that would not be respectable for me to list here.

8. profile image50
    subtalkposted 6 years ago

Yes certainly ,I do believe people are born with that ego.They won't change no matter how hard they fought It's something deep.

9. moonfairy profile image78
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

I agree with all answers...people can be so self centered that they can't see beyond their own noses. I'm thinking they probably know it but they simply don't care. When I come across people like that I'm truly amazed and horrified. It just doesn't make sense to me.

10. Goodpal profile image90
    Goodpalposted 5 years ago

Obsession with self basically comes, in my opinion, from the desire to protect oneself. This might be due to deep rooted insecurity and inferiority complex; in many people it is due their highly bloated self-image where everything has to be servile and everyone must serve their ego (or sense of self importance). They are just publicity seeker.

Regardless of the root cause what is certain is that they don't have a correct viewpoint of life and relations. They are, in my frank opinion, like frogs in the well or more correctly "king" of the frogs in the well.

Good question!

working