jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why are people who manifest a high level of self-confidence considered by others

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Why are people who manifest a high level of self-confidence considered by others to be arrogant?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

there is a big difference between self-confidence and arrogance in my eyes. arrogance is bragging about everything YOU do without consideration for others. self-confidence is about being willing to try anything because you know that there is a good chance you will succeed.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If a person portends that HE/SHE is always the one, he/she can be described as a totally narcissistic egotist who is in need of some deep, deep therapy.    You are always on target with your sharp insights!

2. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 5 years agoin reply to this

i'm not sure but i'm guessing you were insulting me here. hmmm and i have no idea what portends means.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No I Iwas not insulting you at all.   Portends means insist.   I totally agree with your first comment!

3. profile image0
    dunja-88posted 5 years ago

I think people who do this label someone as arrogant, and don't even give the person a chance to get to know them. They are the ones  being arrogant.

4. Rebecca2904 profile image76
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I think there's a big difference between being arrogant and self-confident. I think self-confident people are sure of themselves, willing to give anything ago because they think they can probably make it work and are happy to sit back and listen to other people's conversations, or often ask other people questions about themselves.
    I think arrogant people are self-confident as well in the sense that they're sure of themselves and their abilities, but always need to be the centre of attention, often try to show off how wonderful/smart/athletic they are, and are not interested in other people and their opinions.
    I think when you're spending time or having a conversation with someone who is self-confident, then you'll end up feeling great about yourself and inspired by this person who is so sure of their abilities. When you're spending time with someone who is arrogant, you'll often end up feeling bad about yourself because arrogant people are often willing to belittle others to make themselves feel better.

working