jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

When you took your first child to college, what were your emotions and how did y

1. Craig Hartranft profile image61
    Craig Hartranftposted 5 years ago

When you took your first child to college, what were your emotions and how did you handle them?

Today, we took are only child to college. I already miss my friend. It was not all that difficult as we had some advance preparation. But, the emotions were expected and tears were shed. How did you feel the first time? What emotions did you have? How did you handle the separation issues? In the age of social media communication, are we really that separated from their lives?

2. elayne001 profile image73
    elayne001posted 5 years ago

The day I said goodbye to our oldest child and daughter was one of the hardest days of my life. She was my best friend, and seeing her go off to college nearly broke my heart. We didn't get to take her to her new school, but rather parted at the airport. I had been near her since the day she was born, and felt a part of me was seriously cut off. Even though we have always stayed in touch, and are still good friends, I missed her terribly. We did not have facebook, email, or cell phones back then, so mostly our correspondence was through letters and occasional phone calls. It wasn't nearly as hard when my sons went on to college. Perhaps because I had experienced it once before.

Craig Hartranftposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your thoughts ...

3. teaches12345 profile image95
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

Our son didn't really go off to college. He lived at home during his college years.  However, he was in an internship program where he had to live six months at a time in another part of the country.  That was hard to endure.  Having to think about things like: was he eating well, meeting good people, has enough money for gas, etc. was always somewhere in your mind.  He did well though and learned much from his experience -- so did we!

Craig Hartranftposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Was he eating well ? Yeah, but not likely ...

2. teaches12345 profile image95
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think he survived well enough, don't want to know on what!  He, he, he.

working