jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

H ave You Ever Felt you were disrespected by others? in what way?

1. reymund profile image69
    reymundposted 8 years ago

There are some cases that we feel we are not given due respect.
    PERHAPS BY FRIENDS OR OTHER PEOPLE AROUND US.wHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU FELT THAT YOU WERE DISRESPECTED AND HOW INTENSE IS IT?
    wHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO OVERCOME IT?

2. profile image0
    collegecareerlifeposted 8 years ago

I am very petite and look young for my age, so I feel disrespected quite often.  I admit that I get defensive sometimes when I feel others are treating me like a child.  To overcome this problem, I try to make myself look as professional as possible by wearing well-fitting, professional clothing and by being assertive when I need to be.

3. reymund profile image69
    reymundposted 8 years ago

oh your cool collegecareerlife. I like your answer. you must be an optimist

4. Frugal Fanny profile image56
    Frugal Fannyposted 8 years ago

When I was pregnant, I felt that my boss at work was discriminating against me because of it.  Before I got pregnant, I could do no wrong in his eyes, but as soon as I told him I was pregnant, he started finding problems with everything I did.  Eventually, he cut my hours down to 0 (without firing me), and told me that he didn't have enough work for me....but then he would hire someone else to do what I was doing.  Eventually, I told him off and left the job.  Then, I lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Human Right Commission.

1. reymund profile image69
      reymundposted 8 years agoin reply to this

frugal fanny, i am so sorry abotu that. but it is good that you have done something to fight for your rights. i wish you could get another job better than before, find loyal workmates. goodluck

5. Lady_E profile image81
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

I can identify with Collegecareer as I teach too.

A few times it's been Men from (particular places in the world where women don't tell men what to do)

I always overlook it, as I don't want them spoiling my teaching session, then later sit them down and explain that I am not there to dictate to them, but to support/help. They soon change attitude and before the end of the Course, we get on well.

Another Lady, was disrespectful to me sometime ago (years back) and as usual I just held my cool and didn't even bother, cos I normally get on very well with students and it was obvious to all that she was in the wrong.

Well, the next day she walked into class with a bunch of flowers and apologised.

Just one of those things... There's always gonna be 1 or 2 people who will upset you at work. It happens.  smile

6. skristoff profile image61
    skristoffposted 8 years ago

Age has been the largest discriminator I've seen.  As a young engineer, my opinion was often passed over for that of a "greybeard", who had more experience than I did, even though my opinions may have been valid and indeed an improvement.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I give everybody a fair shot but often I find younger people don't realize the difference between youthful enthusiasum and knowledge.

1. skristoff profile image61
        skristoffposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Definitely true in many cases, but certainly not a universal truth.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

I guess I have never felt that way, because I have never thought of that question. Maybe I have never felt that I was important enough to feel especially respected.

On the other hand, I don't pay a lot of attention to what other people think of me personally, as long as I respect myself.

working