Would you break the law to save a loved one?

1. Anika Vaghela profile image70
    Anika Vaghelaposted 5 years ago

Would you break the law to save a loved one?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

If, by "save" you mean save their life (keep their body from dying), or save from unjust imprisonment, serious illness, chronic pain, or debility, then yes.

I would break the law, and be willing to pay the price. If I jumped in a river to pull out someone who was drowning, and I jumped in right next to a "no swimming" sign, I would have no problem with that. I would break the speed limit and, cautiously, drive through a red light, to drive someone to an emergency room in a crisis.

And I would do these things for anyone, not just for a loved one.

Would I break the law to save a loved one from embarrassment, from minor pain or inconvenience, or from deserved punishment for breaking a law? No, I would not.

There is a  more complicated issue when the problem is repeated. If one's loved one is a drug addict or black-out drunk, how many times should we speed to get them to an emergency room? If they won't or can't change, at what point are we enabling their addiction, which is good for no one? Challenging.

I believe that helping people be safe is an act worthy of paying a price. But I believe each person is responsible for his or her own comfort and for living iwth the consequences of his or her own actions.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

It would depend upon the law and the situation. But most likely, yes.