jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Are you a star-gazer?

1. moonfairy profile image79
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

Are you a star-gazer?

2. Greekgeek profile image93
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

Er, yes and no?

Very rarely, I make a pilgrimage to see meteor showers or special events like the transit of Venus. I have a telescope, but I only break it out once in a great while, and it's been aimed at the planets, moon, and our own star (I like looking at sunspots) more often than at stuff outside the solar system.

I have been outside thrice in the past two weeks to watch the ISS fly over, even when it was patchy and overcast and the chances were slim. (Saw it two out of three nights, not bad.)

I am looking forward anxiously to comet ISON later this year.

I guess I'm like those sports fans who don't watch the team play every day, don't keep up with all the trades and spring training and off-season news, but tune in for the big games?

3. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

I am an amateur astronomer or star-gazer. My love affair for the Universe goes all the way back to my childhood.I can still remember my first look through a telescope and my first views of the planet Saturn and it's ring system. I was hooked from that time and the nights I spend "looking up" are as fascinating to me now as they were all those years ago.  Star-gazing is a great hobby but be advised......it may become a life long passion.

moonfairyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love to star gaze and just downloaded an app on my blackberry playbook that displays a "live" view of the night sky for wherever you are. It's very cool. I tried it once but it was too cold out. Waiting for the warm weather now!

4. Seafarer Mama profile image89
    Seafarer Mamaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely!  Love looking at the constellations in all of the the seasons, and they are  usually pretty clear around where I live. Working with my daughter on spotting more of them. :0)  So peaceful to just gaze at a sky full of stars, and to watch meteor showers when we can stay up late enough to catch them. :0)  This goes all the way back to my childhood, when neighbors shared their telescopes with us for astronomic event viewing. :0)

We have a deck of constellation cards with the patterns punched out and some of the mythology attached. They are such a treasure.

that sounds really cool! I love the night sky smile

5. Tonipet profile image82
    Tonipetposted 5 years ago

Very much. I know just a little about stars and canstellations, it brings me back to my childhood where we used to gaze at the clear night sky with childhood friends - our first lesson was The Big Dipper :smile... To this day star gazing continues to fascinate me. There's this set of stars that I constantly watch right from my window when I say my night vespers. The combination of those tiny sparkles in the cool night sky along with the quietness of the world seems so divine it feels like I find some of my searches. Maybe just a part of me that says how much I love star-gazing.

I love that....

working