Do you think you would ever permanently leave your country?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Iammattdoran profile image90
    Iammattdoranposted 11 years ago

Do you think you would ever permanently leave your country?

Most of us love the country we're from but for many of us in the west things are getting a lot tougher, Having travelled the world recently I've seen some places where I could potentially live and work.  But would I really leave my country.  How about you?

2. atechwiz profile image65
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

I do not think I could ever consider that.  I guess you would never know until you try and to be fair and I have really only ever been to one other country.  I have never travelled the world so to speak but I find that I do not have much desire to do so.  Maybe that is because I have never experienced it.  Still, your question was permanently and I do not believe I could do that.

Iammattdoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think what has made me think about it more is that I saw people living far more comfortably, getting paid a LOT more than me in places like Singapore and Australia for doing similar work to me.  Whereas my country is in the pits and getting worse.

3. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 11 years ago

That is a tough question to answer, with a number of variables.  Right now, both Central and South America are trying hard to recruit Americans to relocate to their country.  They of course require either a cash deposit into one of their banks, or proof that the person has a steady monthly income that will support them.  The cost of living is much less than here in this country, and there are some beautiful locations that are very tempting.
    I can already see my comfort cushion disappearing from my small retirement pay, and my Social Security.  When some of the new laws and taxes kick in next year I may find myself needing to look for part time employment, and we all know how difficult that would be.
    I guess if we reach the point where my small retirement income will not provide my needs I would consider relocation to another country.

Interesting answer.  Sounds like you're in at a different point in your life so for you the drivers behind a move may be a little a different.  I met a lot of retirees who were 'living the good life' in less developed countries on my travels

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My sister owns property in Costa Rica, and I have spent several months in that country.  I could very easily adapt to their relaxed life style, and could live better there on my retirement than I can here.  They have a decent health care system.

4. davidlivermore profile image91
    davidlivermoreposted 11 years ago

I would if I had a very good reason to.  But I don't see that happening any time soon.

5. profile image57
    kalkidan62003posted 11 years ago

I probably wouldn't do it. All of my family and friends are here. And many of us don't know whats its like to live in other countries. Our problems are bad in the U.S. but things could be a lot worse.

I agree things could be a lot worse.  Travelling to places like India gave me a lot of perspective and made me thankful I live in a developed country like England.  But I've also seen that things are a lot better in some places too.  Thanks

2. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

its all in your personal perspective, I love india and kenya  but would not want to live there.   But central and parts of s america are like USA of 50 yrs ago just hope we dont get any more liberal americans to destroy  it like they have the USA

6. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

Yes, I already did.  I moved to Costa Rica and hated it there. after after 6 months moved to Panama and love it here.   Its like I came home .   Where i live its Like the USA was when I was a kid..   
    Actually cr is more expensive than USA.   Panama is a bit cheaper unless you want USA  brands of food, they are very expensive.     and unfortunately in the places where most americans live the liberals are trying to ruin it here like they have there.   liberals ruin everything they touch no matter where they are, they gotta tell everybody else how to live.

Have to admit I'm quite attracted to the idea of spending some time living in Panama.  I've only passed through the airport a couple of of times but I like how you can pretty much fly anywhere in the americas from Panama.

7. Queen of Cups profile image59
    Queen of Cupsposted 11 years ago

No, I do not think I would even if I moved outside its boundaries. The world is an exciting place and to limit myself from my homeland would be cruel almost as on that land would be my blood; my kin.
    I desire to always be able to access the world as a whole and to be able to return home at the end of the day.

1. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

good luck when the muslime closes the borders and doent let any one leave

8. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

My country has left me! Britain has changed so much in the last few decades that I don't feel at home here any more. I don't just mean the high levels of immigration but the abandonment of the values that were the basis of our society.  I think that some Americans may feel the same way.  It's as if the world we grew up in and the values that kept it stable and decent have just been jettisoned in favor of a world where might makes right, innocence is seen as an exploitable weakness, and expedience has taken the place of justice.  I recall my generation thinking they were going to change the world for the better - what happened to that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)