Would you want to live to 150?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Quilligrapher profile image73
    Quilligrapherposted 12 years ago

Today I learned, "scientists believe they will have a drug within the next 5-10 years that will extend the average human lifespan to 150 years. Given the retirement age is 65, that would give you an extra 85 years, meaning you would probably have to extend the average working life to 100 or 120 years to prevent the economy becoming totally unbalanced and pensions running out. That assumes that the life extension is all 'good years', and not a prolonged period of dementia and physical decline."

Would you want to live to 150?
    What do you see as being the most likely issues and what do you think you would do with all the extra years?

Link:
      http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci … 1lrm5.html

1. profile image57
      stoneyyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The birth rate would have to decrease dramatically. There would also be hefty problems involving food production as well as continuing pollution.

Accidents and disease would also take their toll.

Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think so, stoneyy?  I would expect to see nursing homes adding pediatric staff, nurseries and day care centers for their residents. lol

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I was strong and healthy.  However, it will probably be so expensive only rich people could afford it!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Sure, why not. wink

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suppose living to 150 years would not be so bad if we were in good health and able to live a reasonably comfortable life in retirement. if, however, we were expected to work until the age of 100 years and then retire on a meager pension, then, no thanks. smile

How true Hollie!  The quantity of years is not as important as the quality.
        Will people spend all this additional time on furthering their education, traveling, or leisure?  Like how many rounds of golf can you play in a lifetime?

I think if I could retire comfortably,(not in order to lead a life of excess, but enough money to pursue my interests) I'd want to see a lot more of the world, as I've only traveled outside Europe once. I would definitely want to further my education, academically and otherwise, such as learning more about photography, painting and drawing. Still, I've got the rest of my average lifespan for that. smile

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Can you really live forever? And, would those who chose eternal (maybe not life) ever learn? Perhaps, we'll see. Although I doubt it. smile

Hollie, I will have to read Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray again. lol

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Right now, I'd say yes.  But, I'm thinking that after about 100 more years of crap in life maybe I'd think differently once I got there.  smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. jcmayer777 profile image65
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I would if I was of decent mental health.  As long as I had my mind, I would love to live that long. 

Can you imagine all the things that will change on this earth in the next 100+ years?  It would be amazing.  Things now thought impossible would be commonplace, just as things once thought impossible 100 years ago are now.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Health is primary with financial situation being a close second. smile

5. JGoul profile image60
    JGoulposted 12 years ago

I think that whatever our feelings considering the issue in the abstract, if the drug was actually available, most of us would be begging for it. Survival instinct trumps all.

That depends, younger people perhaps. But, there are also people who want to go, when most of their friends and family already have.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73

@ JGoul
      Good point assuming good health.

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 12 years ago

No, to be more wrinkly and aching bones and stuff...nah give it to someone else! lol smile

Cheeky and eloquent. lol

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I'll have wrinkly and sagging cheeks at age 150!!

At age 150, you're an optimist. lol

2. Quilligrapher profile image73

@ Waynet
          I have wrinkly and sagging cheeks and I'm only half way to age 150!!

2. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My sentiments, exactly. Even if wrinkles become some kind of badge of surviving to 150, I will have had enough when it's my time to go (way before 150). No need to extend the inevitable.

7. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

yes

8. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Although it is interesting to think about, I would have to say NO. I wouldn't want another 80 + years unless I could start over and pursue something entirely new. I've always said that I have so many interests that I could live life over a few times and not get bored; however, extending this life would be altogether different.  I am irritated by planned obsolescence, the decline in personal responsibility and good morals, and the general state of the global economy and world affairs. Even if my body and mind managed to keep working, material things I own would break down and need replacing. I'd outlive my financial resources.
    I'd be comparing the future to the days of my carefree youth and would sound old and bitter. One average life-span is enough for now if I am lucky to see it through.

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...sure...if i could stay in the same spot in time until I reach 150...I figure July 30, 2011 is a good date...good times...good health...good...good...good

10. thelyricwriter profile image82
    thelyricwriterposted 12 years ago

I would love to go back for one day but that is it. I believe it would be cool to travel as long as I had a car when I traveled back in time smile

11. Captain Redbeard profile image60
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I think that this would be a huge mistake. Most people can barley function as it is with lifespans of 60-80. Could you imagine a 120 year old G-thug wanna b driving down the main drag in your town bumb'n 140 year old snoop dog? Jesus God help us! I pray this never happens!
    Or for this matter the poloticians and bankers that promote the decline of your country staying with their jobs longer! Or another 80 years of Beiber Fever?! Oh God.............my daughters would love this drug.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With 60 not being all that far off for me (I can't believe I just admitted that), I thought I might like to post this about more and more people living to be 100 these days.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/scienc … id=9836752

Age is but a number, it's how you feel that counts smile

2. Captain Redbeard profile image60
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lisa for the post, I was shocked at the number of "centurians" lol that word is funny to me. Anyway, I don't know what kind of debate this will spark but people of my grandparents generation were raised with a certain trait of respecting thier parents unlike how almost all of my generation was raised and is raising their children. God did promise a long life of prosparity for those who honored their parents. Interesting isn't it? It makes me curious to see how many of my generation will make it to 100....90......70?

12. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Only if I could do it looking and feeling like 35.  There are worse things in life than death, like say... 80 years of old age.  If the aging process over all could be slowed down, and we matured more slowly, and could control the birth rate to avoid any further over crowding (we are quickly heading to 7 billion people) I would think it a fantastic idea, but at the rate we age now, well I don't even want to think about being old and helpless for half a century.  That wouldn't be a blessing, it would be a living hell with all these helpless old folks stumbling around.

13. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 12 years ago

Yes but only if everybody else would be around.  I dont like to live that long while I out lived the rest of my friend and family. 

Also a lot of change need to happen or else economy will collapse and over population and not enough food to go around to supplement population growth.  I mean birth rate would still be the same.  The only difference is that the dead rate will dramatically decline for the next 80 years.

14. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Given that lifespan in the US is actually decreasing I doubt we will be breaking any lifespan record here....

15. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Assuming one had the money to live on for that long, one could hold off marriage and mating until age 50 or so, get several degrees/careers under their belt, travel extensively, then marry and divorce several times, visit different planets,etc.  By the time one is about 140, perhaps cloning will be a viable alternative to death.  One could clone oneself then go on living another 150 years.  Wow.

16. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Of course, on the down side, overpopulation coupled with food and housing shortages would create probable havoc and anarchy.  Tribes would necessarily need to go underground or to other planets, or live in biodomes to survive.  Governments would be outmoded.  Technology, however, might suprise and astound us by coming up with ways to live in a bubble, sans everything but virtual reality.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Live in a VR world?! Sleep our lives away and be nurished through IV tubes? Sounds interesting, good grounds for a story! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)