jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think college life is very important in shaping up the future of a person

1. breathing profile image59
    breathingposted 5 years ago

Do you think college life is very important in shaping up the future of a person’s life?

2. rickzimmerman profile image79
    rickzimmermanposted 5 years ago

Consider that one's time at college may spread across 4 to 7 years or more of a lifespan that has only reached 18 to 25 years, and thus constitutes one-third or more of a person's awareness and maturation. Consider also that college life usually coincides with times of serious choices and decisions: who am I? what am I capable of? who do I want to be? what do I want to do or achieve with my life? who do I want to be with? where will I go? of what will my days and nights consist? what kind of future will I have? Consider that when one is in college, one usually has the energy, stamina, malleability and curiosity to openly partake of what the world has to offer. Finally, consider that a college life in many campus settings is often a roiling, simmering melting pot of new names, faces, ages, personalities, thoughts, ideas, languages, cultures, musics, foods, entertainments, and experiences. For all of these considerations, I think college life can be — and, for many people, is — the most important time period of all for shaping the future and direction of their life.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

College social life? I hope not... I lived in my grandma's apartment when she passed  for the first two years, then remained at the house with David for the rest of it. The friends I had were in their late twenties and thirties. Getting along with others my age has never been a strong point.
    But the college life of barely having enough to eat and working part-time while studying full-time? I do think it helps teach each individual studying techniques, what their limits are, time management, and how to handle money for what is important.

4. Phenomenalapse profile image76
    Phenomenalapseposted 5 years ago

College opens up or at least reveals a lot of potentials and opportunities in one's life that may or may not have been present beforehand. And not just the in-class experiences, or just the social experiences, but the entire set and setting that you put around your life for this period. So much about college is about connecting with others and honestly, networking. For many people this involves incorporating a mix of eclectic ideas that they encounter both in class and with others into their own lives. It can easily hold one back though or make someone still feel trapped in a system they never wanted a part of. The important thing is that you cut through the bullshit and find what is important in shaping the future of YOUR life. What do you like or enjoy? How can you use that to not only sustain and advance your life, but possibly help others? College may or may not be an enabler for you personally. Socially college provides a slew of possibly rich and fulfilling while possibly self destructive lifestyle options, but most of these idealized "college life" scenarios are a re-definition of suburban life emphasized in American schools specifically and glorified by Hollywood with things like Van Wilder and the like. Just do what makes you happy, and if the best way to do this is to attend a college to immerse you in it, then so be it. Hindsight is 20/20 and you can never know for sure how much an experience will affect or shape you, but some things attract us like tractor beams solely because we know deep down we want to be there. I struggle with school, I am a junior at UNR, but this is what keeps me going. I know deep within me that I benefit greatly from the lifestyle decisions college has led me to act on.

working