jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Why can't people have a positive, productive conversation on race?

1. dianetrotter profile image73
    dianetrotterposted 4 years ago

Why can't people have a positive,  productive conversation on race?

Many immediately go on the defensive or offensive when the subject comes up.  Why can't people just communicate and respect the opinions of others?

2. Vlorsutes profile image84
    Vlorsutesposted 4 years ago

I think that it comes down to the fact that, because of the overall history when it comes to racial tolerance, it has become "hard-wired" into the brains of the general population that any sort of discussion involving race is an extremely sensitive subject. For a lot of people, the last thing they'd want to do is say or do something that might be considered racially intolerant, so they get extremely defensive about it.

1. Rod Marsden profile image74
      Rod Marsdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

3. johnsonrallen profile image94
    johnsonrallenposted 4 years ago

I think, because it's such a personal issue, people tend to get offended easily. Also, as Vlorsutes says, most normal people are afraid of saying something that would label them a racist. Therefore, I think many people who get deeply involved in race conversations are on the extreme ends of the spectrum- the crazies on either side.

dianetrotterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It drove me bananas for HLN shows to have Taafe and Ali on a show.  They are 180 and both say really dumb stuff.  I hyperventilate when they talk.

2. Rod Marsden profile image74

To some extent you are correct.

4. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I have yet to meet anyone who could for any amount of time. I have no respect for those who are racist or for those who constantly want to play the race card. My father is Hispanic, my mother is white. When I was young I was darker skinned. I have been called every name in the book. On the other side I have been called a racist simply because I don't like a certain person (the person not their race). It's all sickening to me. I have no respect for the opinions of the people who fall on either side of what I mentioned and will get defensive when dealing with them simply because I'm sick of hearing it!

5. Ericdierker profile image55
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Diane I think as with most situations ignorance is at the heart of the problem. We just do not have enough time in life to learn about all other races and subcultures therein. And so ignorance breeds fear. Fear brings anger. I have just spent too much of my life living in communities that were not made up of folks that looked like me. But I do not feel like an odd duck because I do not look at me, I look at others.

I am going to think on this more. It is a area worth great study in my mind. I often go back to the story of Martha and Mary. Completely different yet sisters. And we need both kind of people.

dianetrotterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric, I think communication is the beginning of love and respect though people don't agree.  I've been very prayerful because I know that is what the Lord wants us to do.  My greatest prayer is to encourage and not offend.  Heaven will be differen

2. Rod Marsden profile image74

Some  cultures are too different from other cultures. For example, I find it difficult to get along with  anyone from a culture that would rather see a girl shot dead than be allowed a decent education at a school.

3. johnsonrallen profile image94
      johnsonrallenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I grew up being told to hate Soviets because they wanted me dead. Then I lived in Russia months after the collapse of the Soviet Union and realized....they were all just like me. It was the leadership that was at fault, not the citizens.

working