jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How young is too young for sex education?

1. loveofnight profile image80
    loveofnightposted 4 years ago

How young is too young for sex education?

If you are a parent, sooner or later you will have to have The Talk. But how young is too young (I'm not speaking of infants or toddlers)?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8450477_f260.jpg

2. profile image52
    tbHistorianposted 4 years ago

This is a very difficult question to answer because it depends wholly on the environment the child is raised in.
    For example, a youngster raised on a farm will normally view many births of animals at an early age and begin to ask questions of the adults who were part of the birthing.  From this starting point, the child naturally moves into human interaction.
    But the youngster who lives in the city normally does not have this experience. So, they learn from peers who also do not normally have this experience.
    So, to answer the question, the parent must determine when to have "The Talk" for each child when they deem it is appropriate.  This requires that the youngster possess the ability to understand the concept of conception, the individual responsibilities it demands, and the consequences of disregarding the responsibilities.
    Maybe a better question should be, "How does a parent know it is time to have 'The Talk'."

loveofnightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

you are so right, i kept going over and over in my head the right way to pose this question and you are right in that the proper question should be, "How does a parent know it is time to have 'The Talk'." thanks for your response.

3. petenali profile image86
    petenaliposted 4 years ago

I may get flogged for this, but my personal opinion is that ALL sex education should be done by the parents.  As parents, we are the only ones who know what stage our kids are at and what they can accept or understand.
    For my wife and I, we began sex education from day one in that we called things by their correct names.  My sons always had a "penis" and never a "winkie".  This was for 2 reasons.  Firstly to avoid any misunderstanding about things whilst promoting truth and honesty, and secondly so that should the need have ever arisen for them to have to explain how they were abused sexually (heaven forbid), they could do so in a factual manner.
    I have never thought it should be a school's responsibility to teach on this matter and nor would I have wanted them to with my sons.  My sons were taught contraception by abstinence by us and did not need to be shown how to put on a condom by some teacher in grade 5.
    So, to answer the question, if the parents do the educating, they should know their own child and know the appropriate time or age...

loveofnightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

i must admit that sex education has never been something that i wanted a stranger teaching my kid, and you are right in that no one knows our kids better than us.thanks for the share.

working