jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

As a parent, what do you do if you think your child is too young to get married?

1. glassvisage profile image90
    glassvisageposted 6 years ago

As a parent, what do you do if you think your child is too young to get married?

Weddings are a huge investment, especially for the parents. What if you think your daughter is too young - will you still pay for the wedding?

2. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 6 years ago

It's your money! You're not obligated to pay for your child's wedding. In fact it might be a good idea for the couple to plan the wedding on "their" budget. Learning to live within our means is part of  becoming an adult. You can always give them some money as a gift for the honeymoon. Too many people get caught up with their "wedding day" and give little thought to their "marriage".

3. LadyFae profile image72
    LadyFaeposted 6 years ago

Why should the parents pay for the wedding of their children? My mother didn't pay anything. I paid for my own wedding and didn't spend a fortune on it. Personally I think spending a fortune on a wedding is a total waste of money. And of course, what is too young? For some a certain age is too young and for others it isn't.

If my children ever want to get married they will have to pay for the wedding themselves.

4. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Although by tradition, parents in the United States are not obligated to pay for their kid's wedding. This is not so in many culture. In the African culture, the parents are totally responsible for the cost of the wedding. However, if the daughter is well placed in society,that is, have a good career and is well paid,she can pitch in to help.

So oftentimes you'll see the parents urging the daughter to wait a little bit longer if they think she's too young to marry. But things are changing even in the African tradition.

5. googleplusones profile image57
    googleplusonesposted 6 years ago

for my own opinion it  depends, if you think you child has the capacity to live without your supervision I mean independent with his/her partner then, therefore they are ready enough to have their own family.

6. ShootersCenter profile image73
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

I thought my daughter was too young, we paid for the wedding and 8 months later they split up, neither has seen anyone else yet but they are still too young to realize that life isn't perfect it's full of up and downs, so you need to have some give and take. If I had it to do all over again, I would try and make them wait a while.

7. lydocia profile image80
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

Whether or not the parents pay for the wedding, is up to the family's personal rules and morals.

As to the fact you believe she is too young to marry - if she is an adult, it is her free choice. However, a nice long chat with her, not accusing her but actually explaining her your points, may convince her she is making a mistake.

If she still does not want to listen and decides to get married, it is still her mistake to make, and to learn from it.

8. cmane profile image60
    cmaneposted 6 years ago

You stand by your daughter and be there for her always,even if you do not agree with some of her life decisions.
    Do not refuse to pay for the wedding based solely on the fact that "you think she is too young",this may affect your relationship for life.

9. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

As long as the couple in question are of legal age to wed, you have no right to interfere. Weddings, marriage ceremonies, are as simple as the couple, two witnesses and a licenced whatever asking the question. Parents make things more difficult, than they really are.