jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

As a child, were YOU considered mature, precocious & advanced for your age, just

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

As a child, were YOU considered mature, precocious & advanced for your age, just run of the mill

average-just a kid, or excessively childish, even immature by your parents, teachers, relatives, & peers? If so, what was your birth order?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12052672_f260.jpg

2. Ghaaz B profile image82
    Ghaaz Bposted 3 years ago

I was born first when my mother was 16, and she didn't have any more kids until I was about 14. There was no father, so the structure wasn't very good for encouraging good behaviour, or any type of intellectual stimulation. I think most people who knew me (very few, since we moved from city to city once or twice per year) regarded me as average or below.

I think that the answer to this question depends on the situation. For instance, children who are born into families that are properly prepared to raise children tend to praise their children more often, since that's the most likely and obvious way to encourage your child to do well in things.

So with this, many children may end up being overly praised, even if they are just average, or even below. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; there is no reason to put any child down. But I think there are a few small consequences to pay, such as overconfidence problems and maybe more. Then again, there isn't necessarily anything wrong with being overconfident either.

I wasn't praised very much, and I didn't do well in school for a variety of reasons. However, if you ask me, I think I was capable of achieving average or slightly above average grades had I applied myself. Nothing spectacular, of course; but I would have maybe said above-average.

Hope this answers your question!

(If you're trying to do a survey-type question, this isn't a good place for that-- write a hub and put a poll at the bottom!)

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not a survey at all.  Just asking a question.

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

I'm the first born in my family and when I was a child and teenager I was considered by some people to be mature for my age. I've always handled my financial affairs in a mature and conservative way. However, growing up I never felt compelled or pressured to be responsible for taking care of my siblings or act as a "parent" to them.

working