jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Do you have nosy neighbors? How do you manage them & still keep the peace?

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Do you have nosy neighbors? How do you manage them & still keep the peace?

I remember one neighborhood I lived in where the neighbors were very nosy, beyond just friendliness and small gossip.  One lady would come onto our property and look in our windows to see if we were home.  I finally had to tell her, look I enjoy talking with you but knock on the door! or wait for me to come outside! smile She was elderly so I was pretty forgiving - but still it was annoying.  Do you have nosy or intrusive neighbors? What creative ways have you come up with to help manage the problem but still keep the peace?

2. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 3 years ago

Elderly neighbors are very lonely. They have lost all their contacts and a lot of their friends and family. So that explains their behavior. I would guess the best way to manage them is to be friendly and sociable, but try to steer them to local senior centers, churches and groups that take an interest in senior welfare.
    The best way to deal with neighbors is to put up a fence. It's very true that good fences make good neighbors. We have had to sue our neighbors for coming on to our property and cutting down our trees! The money we spent on our privacy fence has been the best money ever spent.

ChristinSposted 3 years agoin reply to this

ugh, I had a friend who dealt with the tree issue, apparently it's not that uncommon.  I agree on fences. If I could afford to fence 3/4 of an acre I'd do it lol smile

2. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We fenced in our entire two acres! Took almost 6 months, but totally worth it. We had really bad neighbors though. They eventually moved, but I haven't taken down the fence!

3. ChristinS profile image96

wow, that's a lot of fence! glad those neighbors moved and you still get to have an awesome fence smile so it all worked out apparently.

3. profile image0
    jfischerstoneposted 3 years ago

Yes I have nosy neighbors. We also have the understanding that my business is mine and none of theirs. So as long as they can respect that, then all is fine. If not I will let them know about it and tell them they must correct the situation if they want to remain friends. If not, they are toxic people and I do not need this mess in my life.

I agree. I tolerated my previous neighbor because she was lonely and elderly, but others need to know boundaries beyond just property lines for many.

4. profile image0
    buddhaanalysisposted 3 years ago

Yes..I have nosy neighbor. Unfortunately i have been in very trouble..For studies I'm living outside.The retired owner was so pathetic,he used to stare inside my room as he had no other issues...girls living near by room were so disturbing ..they used to talk loudly at night and taunt continuously..that i didn't able to study. Now i  have changed room now facing problem from one uneducated neighbor housewife has so much interest in my life more than myself..
    Those housewives come near by window and starts gossip...in some unpleasant voice..it's very scary to my soul.

Sorry you are dealing with intrusive neighbors. Have you considered white noise headphones for studying? I used to block my loud neighbors out in my apartment days.

5. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

Christin......For the past 12 (Heavenly) years I have had no neighbors.  I should clarify by saying they are by no means "next door."....Behind me are woods.....on one side is property the length of a football field and the other side runs a creek that flows throughout the town and into Lake Erie ultimately.   I have a building on my property with 2 apts. but they are "tenants."   While I'm a responsible Landlady and a "smile-Hello-How are you?" landlady, I'm much too business-oriented to make the mistake of going beyond that.   We rarely even see one another due to schedules.
    In the past of course, I have had neighbors.  Shall I knock on wood?  There had never been any sort of problem nor issue whatsoever.  I know just from talking with others how very lucky I've been.
    I will be selling here and moving within the near future and will have neighbors again.........Let me just say, I hope I don't have to come back to this question with a long list of complaints!!!   LOL.......great question, Christin.

I hope not either! I moved to my current location due to a steady stream of neighbors from hell lol. I'm a private person and where I am now people respect that pretty much. My previous neighborhood though - oh my!.

2. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

DITTO "being a private person!" best way to insure this: Smile, wave, use FEW words..&

keep moving! A n-bor once said to me, "You never sit still long enough to talk to."..I smiled, said, "I know" & went directly into my house..Hey...I SMIL

working