On the Other Side of the Fence - By Farah

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ravirajan01 profile image95
    ravirajan01posted 9 months ago

Farah has written a poignant poem on the horrors of war and its terrible effects on an ordinary person.She tells a touching story in which the victim dreams of the other side of the fence where there is no war and peace rules supreme. Ultimately, she hopes for better times and the ending of the war. A great write for today's world we live in. The link is below.

https://hubpages.com/literature/on-the- … -the-fence

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I enjoyed the poem while realizing I am spoiled in a sense. I have no personal experience with war and all its horrors. I can only use my imagination for a bit and a byte, then go on with my day.

Not oddly, the time I spent to read your poem, Farah, and then ponder it could be the time a person living where there is war took to imagine a place with heavenly peace and put it emotionally onto paper as a poem.

The same amount of time was spent. I am seeking to empathize through use of poetic words with pondering another's life living with the terror of war. The other seeking to escape that terror while in a sense plead with the cosmos for peace in one's homeland.

The difference is I take it for granted! It convicts my soul to be grateful. Thanks for bringing that to my realization!

2. Farah N Huq profile image83
    Farah N Huqposted 9 months ago

Thank you so much, Ravi, for sharing my poem and for this lovely feedback. I am happy to know that you thought of the theme as time-appropriate. We have enough problems in this world already and wars just make that way worse. Let’s hope the war-stricken countries can find unity and put an end to all wars around us.

3. ravirajan01 profile image95
    ravirajan01posted 9 months ago

We can only hope so, Farah.After all, creating peace and maintaining peace is a gigantic effort. As the great Norman Schwarzkopf tells us,

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 months ago

What a remarkable and powerful poem, Farah. We can only dream of and wish for peace throughout the world. Wars are pointless and cruel. I enjoyed reading this emotional piece.
    Ravi, thank you for sharing.

5. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, Tim, for your wonderful insight. I am a doctor from Dhaka, Bangladesh, and thank God we are not at war. However, my countrymen had to fight for our freedom, and our independence was declared in 1971. You might have heard George Harrison singing the song “Bangladesh” in the album “Concert for Bangladesh”. I was born much later and so I am lucky that I didn’t get to face the brutality of such a war and its aftermath. But we take our history seriously and take pride in our sovereignty. I have heard stories of that time and when I see other countries going through the same, I can only imagine how painful life must be for them. Perhaps a person living through this nightmare can write better about it. Perhaps they are just happy to live through each day. Perhaps positivity or future goals are not even in their minds. But I like to imagine that these people dream to have a better life in the future and keep a positive mindset amidst all the hardship. I wish them a proper life as no human being deserves to live in such trauma.
    I would be looking forward to getting more feedback from you on my poems. My blessings to you, Tim.

6. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, John, for your wonderful feedback and insight. While what we seek is peace, it’s an irony that to achieve it people had to fight countless battles. I feel blessed that I was not born into a war-stricken place and time and I believe those of us born and living in this privilege should advocate peace and take a stand against war. That’s the least we can do for the ones living through this nightmare.
    My blessings to you always, John. I am glad you liked the poem.

7. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 9 months ago

Hello Farah,
    An insightful and thought provoking poem.
    You have created a beautiful imagery about the horrors of war and the need for Peace for the ordinary human beings.
    Well crafted and thoughtful. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you Raviji for sharing Farah’s work.

8. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, dear ChitrangadaSharan. I am delighted to know you found the poem thought-provoking cos that’s what I wanted my lines to do. People need to imagine themselves facing the horrors of war to understand what kind of devastating impact these wars create on others. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Blessings to you.

9. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 9 months ago

Farah,
    It's great to see you again.

Your poem touches my heart with sadness.

I truly wish no one ever knew the pain and affliction of a war where bombs shatter from the skies like stars shooting down.

The picture of the peaceful life is yet but a dream to many.

Hopefully your words can help others by letting them know people understand their feelings.

Very good writing....just sad. 
    Let's pray for peace across the world.

10. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, Brenda, for sharing your thoughts on the poem. I am very happy to know you liked it. Yes, my whole point of bringing in the contrast was to make people living a privileged life aware of their blessings and that we the privileged ones should do our part to stand against wars and spread peace. Yes, I've written after a while and it's always great to get back to the HubPages family. Blessings to you, Brenda.

1. Brenda Arledge profile image81
      Brenda Arledgeposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Take care Farah.

Keep up with your great writing...when you find time.

11. surovi99 profile image84
    surovi99posted 9 months ago

Farah, I liked the rhyming of your poetry depicting what horrors wars can bring. In my every prayer of the day, I pray for world peace, country's peace, family's peace, peace of mind within me and pin-drop silence in the environment so that I have sound mental health and can work on the tasks I love to do. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous poetry.

Thanks, Ravi, for sharing Farah's post.

12. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, Surovi, for sharing your thoughts on this poem. Yes, peace is one of the most important blessings that can be found on earth and perhaps that's why we are guided to greet other people by saying "ASSALAMU ALAIKUM"...." May PEACE be upon you" and the reply to that being "WALAIKUM ASSALAM"..." May PEACE be upon you as well". Such a beautiful way of greeting and it took me years to understand the beauty and value of it despite practicing this manner of greeting from childhood.
    May PEACE be upon the whole world.

13. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, dear Brenda!

14. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 9 months ago

Farah has created a very moving and thought-provoking poem. It certainly deserves to be on LetterPile! It makes us think about those that are less fortunate than ourselves. I love poems that stimulate us to think.

15. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, dear Linda, for your wonderful feedback. Yes, that was my intention- to make people realize their privileges and at the same time understand the sufferings of these war-stricken people. I am glad to know you loved the poem. Stay blessed always.

16. Farah N Huq profile image83

Thank you so much, Linda. I am glad you liked the poem. Yes, that was the whole point of showing the sharp contrast in the two lifestyles- so that people think and realize that the people in the war zones don’t deserve a life like that. We should say no to all wars and try to find a peaceful solution to all disputes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)