jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is nighttime viewed quite negatively, even viewed as evil in the human minds

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Why is nighttime viewed quite negatively, even viewed as evil in the human mindset & consciousness?

What makes nighttime the most fearful time to some people with a few contending that such a time is a time when the veil between the earthly & spiritual worlds is lifted? Be as analytically outrageous in your answer as possible, perhaps write a hub about it.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9550845_f260.jpg

2. Zelkiiro profile image95
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

There's no need to be outrageous, because the answer is simple:

Humans are diurnal creatures. Evolutionarily speaking, we're not used to being awake at night, so our eyes are terrible at seeing in darkness, which makes sense considering, y'know, humans are diurnal creatures. Because the night is not our natural wakey-wakey time, things that lurk in it or happen during it are seen as mysterious or even evil. It's the time of day when many people do things they're ashamed of. It's the time of day when people disappear or are found having been devoured by predators. It's the time of day when anything could leap out at you at any time, and when you feel the most vulnerable due to the fact that your eyes aren't equipped to handle darkness.

And that's a large reason why nighttime is instinctively intimidating.

3. daydreamer13 profile image59
    daydreamer13posted 3 years ago

That's easy. We're basically taught as children to fear the dark. It's in all the stories and parents always tell their children to go inside when it gets dark, etc. Plus, it goes back to your question about fearing the unknown. We can't see what's out there and that is naturally intimidating. Do you fear the dark?

4. moonfairy profile image78
    moonfairyposted 3 years ago

Because people with evil intent use the darkness as a cloak. They slither to and fro in dark clothes under an ink black sky and do things that they would never do in broad daylight. This way they can do their evil deeds and no one will know...unless of course they get caught by a flashlight wielding policeman or nosy neighbor peering out from behind closed curtains.
    I like the dark. No, I don't go slithering around doing naughty things but I just don't mind the darkness. If I get up in the middle of the night, I do not turn on any lights....I give my eyes a moment to adjust and then make my way. I think it all began way back when parents put their kids to bed and wanted them to stay there so they made up stories about bad, evil, scary things that happen in the night and we've carried all that into adulthood.
    It's also easier to conjure up spooky things in your mind's eye when it's dark because you simply can't see what's out there (or right beside you)...

working