jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What Is More Important To You ?

1. Phil Perez profile image78
    Phil Perezposted 2 years ago

What Is More Important To You ?

Understanding the minds of humans or understanding and uncovering the mysteries of the universe ?

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image82
    schoolgirlforrealposted 2 years ago

I would love to know the mysteries of the universe, and I believe we will know much more in the next life, of God's majestic creations. Beautiful.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

If you start checking into the former - not by reading or listening to others but by REAL meditation - it won't be too long before you start finding out some of the latter.   There is no disconnection between the mind and the universe except the ideas of disconnection that we give to ourselves, be it consciously or unconsciously.

1. Electro-Denizen profile image80
      Electro-Denizenposted 2 years agoin reply to this

couldn't say it better

4. Akriti Mattu profile image77
    Akriti Mattuposted 2 years ago

Understanding the mysteries of the universe is important. It's actually worth it. As for minds of human beings, we already have a whole science dedicated to it - psychology. Every mind is different. But the mysteries of the universe are absolute.

5. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 2 years ago

Good question. I used to think the universe was more important. About five years ago I changed my mind, left physics behind, and began studying psychology.

Human thought and behavior is still too primitive to cope with and wield the fruits of the technological revolution we're living through. Racism, hatred, war, superstition, egomania, addiction... there are too many weak minds; too many slaves to our instincts.

I wrote a hub about Harry Truman: a petulant, childish man, and I thought to myself "how could this man have been put in a position to drop Atomic bombs on civilian populations, decide the fate of Israel, and determine American foreign policy for the next 50 years." What disaster lays in our future if we continue to put the universe's power in the hands of weak minds?

Another point is: how do we cope with this ever-changing world if our minds have evolved to deal with a more traditional style of living? Anxiety and depression are on the rise, and it's probably down to the increased uncertainty that urban living introduces. Our brains simply haven't kept up. To compensate, we must understand our limitations and attempt to conquer our biological biases and propensities.

All these problems could be dealt with better if we understood our psychological make-up better. Perhaps psychology could be taught as early as primary school. It would help people deal with life and become well-adjusted people. Imagine a world where, instead of getting angry and fighting, people sought to understand what was making them angry, and defused the situation rather than giving into their primitive urges.

Finally, I'd like to say that seeking to understand the universe before understanding ourselves is like trying to run before you can walk. If we understood our own minds and motivations, and spent less time giving in to our primitive instincts, we'd be on a much better footing to enrich our scientific understanding of the universe.

6. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Interesting question. One may consider the universe is a product of the mind. So, does that mean they go hand in hand? As one explores the universe the mind expands with those discoveries be those microcosmic or cosmic. With pondering that one may ask with seeking to understand the mind of another other than the study of behavior - psychology, would perspective be offered for that understanding of another mind with knowledge of their understanding of the universe? I ponder while consider maybe that presents acquiring a level playing field when seeking understanding the mind of another.

I dun'no . . . yet, I thank you for presenting the question. A thought just now is how many times have you used or have you heard the colloquial phase "He/She is in a world of their own"? One may expand that to become "He/She is in a 'Universe' of their own. hmmmmm . . . another thought for me to ponder with seeking understanding of another's mind, especially a loved one.