jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why do children in large/very large families(6 or more children per family) have

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why do children in large/very large families(6 or more children per family) have no

sense of self, low self-confidence, and/or little or no self-esteem?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12411125_f260.jpg

2. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 2 years ago

I'm sorry but I grew up in a town where having 12 kids was the norm and those kids... I have no words, but most of them were up to something, doing increasingly crazy stunts, mostly for attention I think. In any event I don't think playing with flame throwers yels low self confidence! (And no, I am not saying they actually had flame throwers but some of the things they did they may as well have!!)

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They were masking their low self-esteem by acting out.  Many children who act out do have low self-esteem because they weren't paid attention to by their parents.  I have seen this among kids from large families.They are LOST souls really!

3. Ana Kolomeka profile image75
    Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years ago

I think it has less to do with the size of the family, and more to do with how the children are raised.  One of my classmates had 6 kids in her family, and they were all well-adjusted.  I know of another case where a couple had only 2 kids, and they were dumped in foster care.  The family was rife with abuse and mental illness.
    Large families may be more prone to abuse and neglect because of ignorance, but some couples willingly choose to have lots of kids, and plan responsibly for them.  I live in Hawaii, where large families are common.  Children are valued in Hawaii; as a result, though the kids may be more bratty, they're less prone to gang violence.

working