jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Where does your last name originate from? Is it from a slave owner or not?

1. blade runner 1234 profile image61
    blade runner 1234posted 2 years ago

Where does your last name originate from? Is it from a slave owner or not?

2. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 2 years ago

Well, obviously I am black; however, my last name is not really a "slave name."

What happened was, my father was raised in an early-1900s orphanage and he never knew who his parents were and he was never assigned a last name.

Well, around 1915 when he was about 13 years old, my father ran away from the orphanage and landed a job as a handyman for a wealthy white family named Hannon.

My father took on that last name and voila, here I am today. My last name is Hannon.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

My last name is "Abt," which I've been told is a shortened version of the German word "Abbot," as in the head monk in a monastery.

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

My last name is German. Neither side of my family arrived in this country until well after slavery was abolished.

5. Motherbynature profile image76
    Motherbynatureposted 2 years ago

Can't speak about my absent fathers name for obvious reasons but my mother's maiden name is definitely from slave owners.  I've seen the documents.  I'm sure the same is true for my father.

(BTW, don't be dumb enough to give your mother's maiden name on this thread or you're asking to be hacked)

6. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I believe my last name is English. My mother has traced back a number of relatives to around the time of the puritans. So there are some slave owners in there. I think she's only confirmed one on her side, but there were likely others.

7. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 2 years ago

Blade Runner,
    Well, technically from a slave owner going back to late 1700s and early 1800s in Virginia. At one point, my (non-inheriting) branch of the family went west to Iowa. They were there when they missed the Civil War completely. Then they settled in post-bellum West Texas. It's interesting though. My paternal grandparents (born in early 1900s and were second-generation Texans) did not hate or fear African Americans. But they were extremely politically incorrect by today's standards. They used rude words to describe various ethnic groups as if those words were matter-of-fact dictionary terms. But I would describe them as socially progressive. Today, the majority of people with my last name are African American

1. Motherbynature profile image76
      Motherbynatureposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You must be a Jackson or Johnson.  I don't know many white people with that last name.  I wonder why that is.

working