jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you have any stereotypes &/or prejudices?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Do you have any stereotypes &/or prejudices?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8093729_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

Of course I do.  I expect everyone does.  It's all a matter of how we've been brought up and influenced to see the world.  Whenever you see something or someone that gets a response that is other than neutral and disinterested (not UNinterested) we are coming from our view of how we THINK and FEEL things should be rather than as they are.  We are reacting.

When we choose to act in some way we are coming from something a lot different than when we react.  When we react we're coming from a self-image, an imagining of ourselves, and how other things should be in our ego's (our conditioning's) opinion.   Most people do this without being aware that it is their ego's emotions in control.   

The answer to this problem is self-knowledge -  REAL self-knowledge.  But how many of us are into this?   

So do I have any stereotypes (preferences based on beliefs) and prejudices?   Of course I do.  But at least I'm becoming more and more aware of them.

3. davidlivermore profile image97
    davidlivermoreposted 2 years ago

No a days people are too afraid to answer that question, otherwise they are labeled and ostracized from society for even speaking their mind.

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I used to have a lot of prejudices and believe in a lot of stereotypes - because I believed everything that powerful white American media was spewing. It really takes listening to the people who are struggling and understanding their experiences to break down barriers and not make assumptions about groups of people or different ways of life.

But I am still human and I'm sure I still fall prey to prejudice once in a while, but I try to challenge my thinking by actually educating myself about issues people are dealing with.

working