jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Is it Time to Amend the US Constitution?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

Is it Time to Amend the US Constitution?

The founders of the US had little knowledge of the Industrial Revolution, and No idea of what technology would be like in this century. So doesn't it follow that their vision, and the reality of today are don't match.

Trying to apply the laws of physical presence to the virtual cyber world hasn't really worked. This is just one aspect of why we need to amend. I can't go in detail with only 600 char, but technology has changed even in the last 30 years that have made things really complex. Trying to apply the logic of the founders dn work, and add to that the 340 million people, and 50 states

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12674804_f260.jpg

2. Levi Legion profile image59
    Levi Legionposted 2 years ago

Amend what exactly? What's the specific problem area to which you are referring?

bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Levi
      According to this ?, that is your call, and I have mentioned some reasons there as well.

2. Nathanville profile image96
      Nathanvilleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

From a European perspective, the right to bear arms is total insanity.  Although I’m sure most Americans will totally disagree, and will defend their rights under the Second Amendment to the hilt!

3. Levi Legion profile image59
      Levi Legionposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Arthur, the right to self-preservation (including self-defense) is one of the most basic human rights. Currently firearms are the best method of self defense. Protecting this most basic human right is just common sense.

4. Nathanville profile image96
      Nathanvilleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Levi, I know that is how Americans feel, I’ve corresponded with a few on this and appreciate that.  However, from a European perspective it’s a belief we don’t hold; so we do find it incomprehensible how anyone would want to live in a gun culture!

3. iggy7117 profile image79
    iggy7117posted 2 years ago

Who would get to amend it? And would the amendments only reflect their thinking. I feel it is society that needs amending. The way beliefs have changed to accept things that were not acceptable just twenty years ago. Some call it progress, I call it a decay of morals and beliefs.

Maybe some additions about technology following the original constitution are needed. I would agree with the part about excepting everyone from other countries, if you are trying to kill us then you and everyone you know should be shipped back to where you came from.

Vince
      I agree, it is the people that need to start the process. The voters have not been helpful for a long time, and they seem to be taking the wrong turn.
      Just my opinion, but the loyal party voters needs to at least turn a shade of purple smile

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

The document is written (barring slavery) to be eternal. One still has the right to freedom of speech, whether spoken in the town square or typed into a comments forum. One still has the right not to be put on trial without knowing charges or having the right to cross examine the other person, whether that is broadcast live on the internet or an old courthouse.
    We don't need to rewrite the document, revise it dramatically to "get with the times".
    Just recognize eternal rights like freedom of speech, freedom of association, the right to own property, the right to a fair trial, etc.

Again, you think that the Status Quo is working for us?
      You think that the constitution works well for 340 million people, 50 states, and 3 branches of gov that can be gridlock is a working constitution?

5. Galadriel Arwen profile image78
    Galadriel Arwenposted 2 years ago

The Skulls and Bones Society, The Tea Party or what used to be called KKK and many other corrupt politicians have been trying to amend the Constitution so they can get everything their way for centuries. Leave it alone. It is the only thing that protects us from corruption. The politicians we elect can be less corrupt if they run their campaign as a third party candidate. Corruption exists because we the people have allowed it. Don't help it along by tearing up what the Founding Fathers made.

You think that the Status Quo is working for us?

2. Galadriel Arwen profile image78
      Galadriel Arwenposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's the best option we have. If you want change protest, vote, submit bills. If you want to rid the congress of corrupt politicians, vote them out of office. Establish a term limitation on the amount of time they can be there.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image31

Galadriel
      The founding founders dn have a clue of how we would be today. And we haven't voted intelligently in a 100 yrs. Loyal party voters keep electing the gridlock congress. The SC has become political and ineffective while congress is gridlock

working