Why is free range parenting more conducive to children than overprotective/helic

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why is free range parenting more conducive to children than overprotective/helicopter parenting?

What makes children raised as free range more mature, self-assured, self-motivated, & successful in life?

2. ElvisaM profile image80
    ElvisaMposted 2 years ago

I honestly believe that hovering over our children does more harm then good. I was an overprotective mom with my first child. We were crazy, basically. We wouldn't let anyone hold him when he was born. People were not allowed to come over without doing our ritual, which was "Here, sanitize your hands and arms and place your shoes into this bag. Oh also, I hope you brought a new pair of socks like we asked you to" <--- Crazy! I know! I realized my mistake when the doctor told me that my child would turn out to be very dependent on me and would never be able to make a confident decision without second guessing himself. I stopped right there and that evening, I let him play in the park without following him and running underneath the slides to catch him if he fell. I am glad someone stepped in and said something because my son would not be who he is now. I still see little effects of my parenting. He goes to school and every morning, he looks at me when he is putting his backpack away as if to see if it's the right place to put it. I don't have that problem with my second. He is very independent, makes his own decisions and is a lot less emotional. Parenting is trial and error. You learn from your mistakes. People offer advice all the time and it's conflicting. We can only do the best we know how.