jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Why is IT in adult sibling relationships that the younger siblings are THE MOST

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 24 months ago

Why is IT in adult sibling relationships that the younger siblings are THE MOST SELF-CENTERED, even

SELFISH, expecting oldest/older siblings to assist, even support them financially when the latter should be able to support themselves & not be dependent upon the oldest/older siblings?  In multichild families, it is oftentimes quite commonplace, even rife for adult oldest/older siblings to financially assist, even support adult younger siblings, much to the former's detriment & that of their significant others, spouses, & children while the younger siblings are enabled, expecting such financial assistance/ support.  When is enough.....ENOUGH? Such is NEVER reciprocated by younger siblings.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12761485_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 24 months ago

I think your blanket statement concerning younger siblings is both unfair and untrue. I was the youngest in my family and I never expected nor did I ever receive any financial support from either my sister or my mother. I also don't believe I'm the only one out here offended by your condescending comments about younger siblings.

gmwilliamsposted 24 months agoin reply to this

In small families, this seldom occurs but in large/very large families, it is quite commonplace.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

Growing up, everyone else in the house catered to them as the youngest, and they were often exempted from chores and other responsibilities because older kids and adults did the work.

gmwilliamsposted 24 months agoin reply to this

EXACTLY, unfortunately this carries over to adulthood which resulted in oldest children taking the burden while youngest children oftentimes coast through life.

4. NatashaL profile image81
    NatashaLposted 21 months ago

This question and its accompanying blurb are unfair to younger siblings who aren't selfish and arrogant.  As a former English teacher, I generally see no reason to make sweeping statements or use hyperbole.   If your own siblings are as you describe, that is a problem with them, not with all younger siblings.

I am the older of two siblings, and I can safely say that neither of us is selfish or unkind.  Our mother impressed on us the importance of loving each other and looking out for people we love.  Are we perfect?  No.  Do we both suffer from depressive disorders and hereditary physical problems (high BP, mainly)?  Yes.

But my brother is the one who went to bat for me when my stepfather persisted in touching me inappropriately.  My brother is the one who assured me, "If you ever marry or date a guy who hits you, you tell me, 'cause I'm going to hit him."  My brother is the one who affirms me and tells me he likes me just the way I am.

My brother works almost 40 hours per week cleaning bathrooms to help support his family. 

My brother is my closest friend, and he considers me his.  He knows and understands me better than anyone else does, because he's actually tried.

It is perfectly all right to be angry with your own siblings, or feel that you got the short end of the stick.  But please don't use such a broad brush to paint younger siblings.

working