jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Is Homework Really Necessary?

1. profile image58
    Cat Renee Blogsposted 12 months ago

Is Homework Really Necessary?

Should kids really have to do Homework? Why can't the teachers teach us everything we need to know in the 1 hour they have us?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13398134_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 12 months ago

It can reinforce skills that the kids are learning in class from math facts to historical facts.
    There are problems with teachers giving busy work that doesn't actually improve knowledge retention in order to make themselves look better.
    In other cases, they give "enrichments" they hope will stimulate interest or further reading on the subject but become busy work.

3. Luke Holm profile image96
    Luke Holmposted 12 months ago

Teachers do teach you as much as they can within the hour they have you.  Homework is an opportunity for you to practice the skills taught in that lesson, after school.  Humans learn through repetition and practice.  It would be like giving you an hour-long bike riding lesson and then asking you to win the Tour de France.  It just doesn't work that way smile With that being said, some teachers do give too much homework.  If I were you, I'd get on that assignment instead of procrastinating on HubPages wink.  Good luck!  If you need English help, let me know. I'm an English teacher.

4. Omar Eldamsheety profile image68
    Omar Eldamsheetyposted 12 months ago

You have to learn how to be responsible of doing what will make you better.

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 months ago

Opinion: Yes, homework is important. I wish I had done more of it. I see today how important it is.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 12 months ago

yes, without homework, the teacher would not know which student is weak in which subject and how to guide them.

In addition, homework helps the student to "revise" the lesson they had learn

7. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 12 months ago

If they only have one hour to teach you, and can't give you homework, then they're wasting some of that teaching time having students do work. 

So without homework the options are:

Less time to actually teach in the classroom

or

Students never getting the opportunity to practice/put into motion what they've learned

Neither sound ideal to me.  Plus once you get to college or university you need to take responsibility for practicing/writing essays/studying on your own, might as well teach kids to get into that habit early.

8. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 12 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12624754_f260.jpg

Homework Y or N. The answer should depend on what Goals you think that schools and their "education" are trying to accomplish.

imo, Formal education is to provide the students with the necessary information and brain skills that will at least allow them to compete in the job market. Without this as a goal, there is no real purpose for formal education. Remember out education system is pretty much the same as it was for the Ancient Greeks and Romans, but then only the idle rich were educated.

A lot has changed in over 2000 years. And it changed drastically since the Industrial Revolution, and accelerated in the mid 1950s, Knowledge from the 20th century is of historical academic use today. The 21st century has broken many of the established knowledge of even the 20th century.
    The point is that we have a lot more things to learn today, and unlike knowledge in the past, we need to know a lot more just to make it through the day. Kids have no problem with the new technology but they are in an intellectual bubble that doesn't allow them to see outside of it. This is where formal education needs to penetrate that bubble or at least galvanize it with their bubble.

The 3 R's are not enough today, and they even eliminated the Cursive Writing.
    Yes, we need homework as we always did because class time is not digested homogeneously because of the diversity and learning abilities of the students.

9. Seek-n-Find profile image90
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 months ago

Meaningful homework is beneficial but all too often kids are overloaded with way too much homework and not all of it is actually helpful for creating meaningful learning experiences.

10. brutishspoon profile image67
    brutishspoonposted 12 months ago

No  It eats into the child's family time which in this day and age can be a very precious few hours a week. Children should be allowed time to play and have fun.

working