The Mind of MAGA

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 2 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/16930987.jpg
    Have you ever wondered why masses of otherwise rational people follow demagogues like Hitler and Trump without question?  Most weren't very bad people, so how could they follow an obviously corrupt men? I know I have and never came to a satisfactory answer.  Then I recently read some articles about recent research into that phenomenon.

Coming out of WW II, many researchers asked the question above and ended up able to describe the kind of person who blindly follows flawed leaders (I have published several articles on that subject). But, they never found out WHY.  Now they have.

Remember seeing those news reports of the massive rallies Hitler held and how enthralled everybody was with what he was saying? Well, the answer lies in WHAT he was saying and HOW he was saying it.  He used words and metaphors like "vermin" and "poisoning the blood of Germans" when speaking about the Jews (yes, he used those words as it turns out). He also used the Big Lie (like the 2020 election was rigged). Further, he and his minions repeated them over and over again.  Hitler also lied a lot about big things, possibly such as Jews being murderers and rapists (or similar terminology). Researchers have found that such rhetoric impacts "susceptible" people in a physical way. It actually alters their brain chemistry.

I won't go into detail here, but you can read about it at the link below or in a three part series I am writing (parts 1 and 2 are published and I am still working on part 3).

The short answer is that these words and metaphors sort of "short-circuits" the brain.  Your brain receives input from your senses, in this case your eyes and ears.  The signals then proceed to, among other places, the area of your brain associated with understanding the inputs.

Now, connecting all these areas the brain are neurons which carry electrical signals. When inputs are received, some of these neurons are activated and send signals to other parts of the brain.  Specifically, for our purposes, the areas associated with thinking, emotion, and information processing. 

In unaffected people, when the kind of rhetoric I described above is heard, signals propagate to all these areas of the brain. But in people who are predisposed to the messages those words and metaphors are sending, the signals to the information processing and thinking parts of the brain are suppressed and allowing a direct path to emotions.  Without mitigating signals coming from the processing and thinking parts, then the emotions are allowed to take over.

Worse, with repetition, like with any other habit, these neural pathways become "solidified" or "hard-wired" such that competing information is pushed aside and ignored. Lastly, in order to protect its sanity, when contradictory information is received, the mind struggles to deconflict what they are now programmed to hear and with what they are hearing now (such as this message) and invents ways to reconcile the two while maintaining their programmed response.

Sorry for the long lead in, but there is a lot to unpack to an audience, some of whom are unwilling to hear it.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ … s-00108378

I would also recommend the book by Professor Marcel Danesi, Politics, Lies, and Conspiracy Theories.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 months ago

Why did you post this in the forum? It doesn't belong here.

My Esotericposted 2 months agoin reply to this

And why not, shouldn't MAGA be discussed? I have posted a much more detailed analysis elsewhere.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 months ago

Yes, but in the topical forum. However, you'll need a shower after reading comments there. This forum is for writers discussing their craft and helping newcomers understanding the needs of the platform.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 months agoin reply to this

If you look at the top of the OP you will see it is in . . .

Topical Forums»Education and Science»Medicine & Health Science»Neurology

What is wrong with that?

2. My Esoteric profile image86

OK, now I am confused.  When I am creating a new forum, a list comes up to chose from.  In this case I chose Topical Forums»Education and Science»Medicine & Health Science»Neurology.  I chose that because it fits the topic at hand. This is the way I do most of the forums.  I didn't see anything led me to think this was for writers.

4. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 2 months ago

Dissect this:
    OH MY GOD!

5. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 2 months ago

I hear you, Rupert. These posts have nothing to do with improving the craft of writing. It's twaddle, useless.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

The reason so often writing that is actually a typical article ends up as a forum is because HubPages removed the comments section for articles. There is no way to get feedback from your readers any more. That was a huge part of what HP started out as and what attracted many of us to this site.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image91
        Kenna McHughposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

That makes sense. Some Network sites allow comments. There's a list of them floating around the forum.

6. Vlado - Val Karas profile image70
    Vlado - Val Karasposted 2 months ago

Everybody's brain -- not "typically" MAGA's is using the same technology of processing reality, so this analysis, per se, doesn't prove anything. Humans are not merely reactive mental automatons, like impressionable kids who can't help but sponge in some information. We are much more complex than that, and conscious choice should never be left out from that equation.
    In my view, people are projecting their personal dissatisfaction with their life on the screen of political arena, basically neglecting their own issues and living the life of the nation instead. And that goes for the hotheads of both camps. Meaning that so many seem to know more about what has to be fixed in White House than in their own house.
    It's like everybody is forgetting that being a true patriot means seeking ways to heal the national spirit and thus make the country strong -- not this insisting on conflict and division, this incessant and truly pathetic badmouthing each other.
    But, as I always say, to each their own -- and this political turmoil will unfold regardless of what I, or you, or they are saying here.
    So maybe Rupert is right, inasmuch as the practical aspect of Forum is to be kept in mind -- helping those beginners who ask for help at least serves some tangible purpose.
    And, by the way, I will not get hooked for further discussion after comments which may be in disagreement with what I said here.

" impressionable kids " - I would argue that the science shows there definitely is a cohort of adults who act like impressionable kids.  Those are the ones researchers identify as those predisposed to the message they are being given, whether it be by Trump or any other demagogue.  From what I read, it is that predisposition that sets the stage for shutting down, or at least minimizing the signals that reach the thinking and information procession areas of the brain. 

This was the point that a Professor Korzbski from the University of Toronto was trying make when, during a lecture, took out some biscuits and started eating them, He offered them to the students in the front row who also ate them.  Then he revealed they were dog biscuits at which time some or all of the students reacted negatively and two or three actually ran off to the bathroom to throw up. 

That is a great example of suppressing the rational part of the brain and going straight from input to an emotional reaction.

I agree it will all unfold, but I think one must understand what they are witnessing.

I would also appreciate where in Hubpages Forum rules it specificizes what you and Rupert are suggesting.  If they exist, I will abide by them.

7. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 2 months ago

Funny Kenna, that's not where my 《unique》brain went. The context of this post reminds me of the lies spread about the Jewish people, which led to their extermination.
    It should be removed for that reason and for that reason alone!!!
    Unbelievable!!

Kenna McHughposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Well, Angie, that is a good reason.

8. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 2 months ago

Actually, Kenna, what I presented was straight from scientific research.  More over, it makes a lot of sense. It simply describes what happens to the brains, in physical terms, of people who are already predisposed to receive Trumps (or, if we are talking about the 1930s, Hitlers) very divisive rhetoric.

Let me ask. what is the purpose of his repeated use of words like rapists when referring to Mexicans, or "poisoning the blood of our country" when referring to immigrants, or "vermin" when referring to Democrats?  Hitler, in Mein Kampf. wrote "that German blood was being poisoned by Jews."

I offer this as a study on dehumanization employed by Hitler, and now Trump.

https://digitalcommons.du.edu/cgi/viewc … ontext=etd

There is also this quote from Hitler "Nature is cruel; therefore we are also entitled to be cruel. When I send the flower of German youth into the steel hail of the next war without feeling the slightest regret over the precious German blood that is being spilled, should I not also have the right to eliminate millions of an inferior race that multiplies like vermin? How is that different from when Trump accuses immigrants (or liberals) of being "vermin"?

I also need to point out that IF someone declares something I wrote as a lie, then they need to be specific and point it out.  Otherwise, it is just so much hyperbole.

Kenna McHughposted 2 months agoin reply to this

All due respect, it's bogus. Trying to compare anyone to Hilter is ignorant. Hitler and his cohorts killed millions and millions of people. They performed crazy operations on innocent people, trying to change the color of eyes with dye. One nutcase surgically interchanged legs and arms. Down right evil people they were.

My Esotericposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

How is it ignorant? It seems to me it is spot on.  How is relevant that Hitler was much worse than Trump has shown himself to be so far? Isn't it more relevant that they are cut from the same cloth, that they exhibit the same personality characteristics, that Trump mimics, to some degree, Hitler and Putin and other bad authoritarians?

While not matching Hitler in cruelty or the numbers, it is now well established to those not under the Trump spell (the point of this forum), that Trump's policies in some areas and lack of policies in others led to hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans dying from Covid that shouldn't had to. That is true in spite of him giving the go-ahead and resources to produce an effective vaccine that many of his supporters rejected but saved millions of lives once Biden was able to get it into people's arms.

To me, ignoring history is foolish and dangerous.

2. Ken Burgess profile image76
        Ken Burgessposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

So true...

They have been comparing Elon Musk to Hitler lately...

There comes a point when you realize that you are not dealing with rational people...

Frighteningly enough, this isn't coming from radical extremists, its coming from people in control of our government and media.

My Esotericposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Musk to Hitler - where is your proof?

9. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 8 weeks ago

The whole point of this forum is to show that science has proven why people like MAGA (and those on the extreme left, for that matter) act Irrationally, whether it is willful or not.

I have known for a long time that most Trump supporters are irrational, as one likes to put it.  Take for example:

1. MAGA wants a convicted rapist as President - that is not rational (or Trump has won and they no longer ANY court decision against Trump is rigged.)

2. MAGA wants a one-term, twice impeached, philanderer who is facing 4 criminal trials and multiple civil trials as President - that is not rational

3. MAGA wants a man responsible for hundreds of thousands of needless deaths from Covid due to inaction, ineffective action, or even bad action - that is not rational.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that there is validity to the premise that repetition influences behavior and decision-making. I learned in sales training that most people must see a product or hear a sales pitch six times before they will be convinced to make a purchase. That's why Amazon tracks your search history and ads for those items pop up on your screen repetitively. They know that is how you get someone to act upon your message.

10. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 weeks ago

Kenna: Thanks. I'm now on Writing.com and it is much more like HP was in the old days. I'm loving it!

Kenna McHughposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Great!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)