What could be the Ultimate point in the Evolution Continuum?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (126 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image72
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

I have always wondered what would be the ultimate point in the evolution continuum? Will that ultimate species be eating foods just like us? or will it be absorbing energy directly from an energy source like Sun Or will it be able to create self sustaining energy for itself? Will it find a way to expand its life span for extremely long period of time like the immortals (either through evolution or genetical engineering) or will it live a normal life like us? Will it be able to create artificial advanced life forms by means of science or ultimate knowledge? Will it be able to acquire the qualities & ethics that we mark today as perfect state or the qualities of God?

As per my view, I think the ultimate species will take a sit much closer to what we call God today. What are ur views? Dont forget that it may take unlimited time to reach this ultimate point...

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we are already godlike. we are just don't know it yet.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RR,

Since evolution is outward versus revolution -cyclical or circular, measured by spans of time/place, then the ultimate would be simplicity. The finest point A, expanding to capacity, then deflating to finest point B.

2. profile image52
        M Mcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if we ever reach that point, given our colective self distructive bent, i believe we would probably recognize what we found, as surely we are now, as a species very close to perfection in that our faults are surely our own reasons for being.  by that i mean for instance; without the need to find sustinance etc what would we do with our time?  i believe we already have within all of us the potential for whatever definition of perfection one might imagine.  to live, to learn, to enjoy.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is no continuum. There is no point.

we're just things that are following the laws of physics.

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
        Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Reckon ... the name counts.

5. qwark profile image62
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rishy:
        I've written an entire "hub" on the subject of your question.
        if you'd like to read it, here it is:
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Qwark3
        Qwark

6. Shahid Bukhari profile image59

Existence ... Is ... Being !

There is no Evolution Preceding any Evolution ... just the "sense" of a past.

7. Shahid Bukhari profile image59

Humans are the Zenith of Creation ... in every sense of the term.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I surely hope we are not as good as it gets. big_smile

2. kephrira profile image59
      kephriraposted 13 years ago

All existence is ultimately futile.

Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can c dat clearly... roll

1. kephrira profile image59
          kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only way for their to be an 'ultimate point' to evolution would be if all change in the Universe ceased and nothing ever happened again. Even small environmental changes will have an evolutionary effect. Every organism must ultimately evolve or die. The existence of any specific organism is, over time, ultimately futile

The whole idea of an ultimate point in evolution can only refer to some pseudo-religions idea of a purposeful evolution in which things keep improving until they reach some perfect state. If you are talking about actual evolution, as described by science, then all existence is ultimately futile.

Can u explain in which pseudo-religion we have the idea of an ultimate point in evolution?

Also, what do u mean by actual evolution?

I meant pseudo-religious, sorry, and by definition the pseudo bit means 'not an actual' religion. What I meant was that Darwinian evolution as it is described in science (the 'actual evolution') is not moving towards an end point. Various philsophers have put forwards alternative ideas of evolution, inspired by their religious beliefs, in which the world has some kind of purpose and evolution always leads to things getting objectively 'better', but there is no evidence of that.

I was being tongue in cheek with the whole 'existence is futile' bit, but no organism can remain static in a changing environment, so there can be no ultimate end point.

I c ur point. thank u

2. lxxy profile image61
        lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well someones being quite the negative nancy!

I'm most inclined to believe in the Einsteinian belief of pure energy becoming the most highest form of life. Who knows, maybe those plasma clouds really do have feelings?

Or perhaps it would be like the "Q Continuum" type of deal.

In the near future, though, expect to see medical research continue to flourish as well as the study and applications of cybernetics and nanotechnology.

Soon enough, given 25 to 50 years time the consumer demand for these products will have hit such a fast track that cybernetic enhancements and retrovirus-based bodymods will be so common I suspect it may spark some weird racial tension.

3. ademaree profile image59
      ademareeposted 13 years ago

According to the scholar Fukuyama, mankind's history ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall in the 80's. I think that as humans, are evolution is static. the next evolution will be manmade, through either genetic manipulation or technology based implants. Bluetooth headsets now sit in the ear like hearing aids. how long before both of these devices are inserted into the head. how long until mankind is capable of accessing the internet using only their minds. The other option I foresee for evolution would be extended space travel. Time in space and breeding off planet would force human beings to evolve.

hmm...what about autism and its sudden rise. Don't you think that is transition to something else. we are evolving at the same rate, even faster. actual studies, published in discover magazine.

2. watchya profile image60
        watchyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who's that scholar Fukuyama ? Very short minded !  I think History is a continuum. 300 years from know, what we're living today will be in history books. History will cease the day we cease to exist.

4. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

In answer to your question....

Me

smile

Ok, so u mean its cyclical, ryt? After certain stage, we again turn into monkeys? big_smile

lol

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

although that is plausible

Plausible but dissapointing roll I mean, Who wants to turn into a monkey?

1. watchya profile image60

No one will turn into a monkey. Evolution goes forward. Always.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily.  Aren't whale flippers devolved hands?  Seems like I heard they were once land animals that returned to the sea.

That doesn't mean they didn't evolve. Or do you think that sea animals are less intelligent ?

2. lxxy profile image61

You are correct, just as ants are land dwelling wasps.

If ants didn't improve from being wasps , then they involved instead of evolving.

In few words

Evolution: a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state : growth (2) :

Merriam Webster.

2. lxxy profile image61

Well, I think they were a reaction to circumstances. Ants have evolved a number of species, and generally the queen retains wings. Although they're often later removed by the queen or her worker drones.

It's also interesting to note some ants reproduce asexually or through cloning...which brings up the question, why did sexual evolution take over anyway?

Of course, if we didn't have it I suppose our mating rituals would be either much more messy or nonexistent. And that would just be boring.

3. wilderness profile image95

No - they just picked a different environment to live in.  Animals evolve to survive in their environment, not to be "improved" in some undefined way.

2. Greek One profile image64
              Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.lonelyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/planet.jpg

well, thanks at least for not comparring me to an amoeba tongue

Yeah, as if thats gonna make u look smart roll

1. lxxy profile image61

Just look at that hair style and clothing, not to mention the slightly off technicolor.

lol lol lol just missing a cow boy hat & a cigar

2. Greek One profile image64
                  Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i will spare you during the revolution

3. ceciliabeltran profile image65

It happened before. The Boskops had a very large brain, they had a religion they buried this very important member of the tribe facing the sun. They looked like children with larger heads. But evolution didn't favor them. They died out.

some are saying they are humans with very big brains, but then, why did it shrink? better childbirth? I don't know.  evolution isn't linear.

2. profile image52

sorry imlate, however i must say, here,here! lol

5. lxxy profile image61
      lxxyposted 13 years ago

We must remember that evolution is the process of adaption to the environment, like a long term survival strategy for a species.

Unless of course no one blood line figures out how to avoid certain problems, then the strategies just weren't long term enough. Or too much happened at once.

1. profile image52

ooooh! controversial much?

6. watchya profile image60
      watchyaposted 13 years ago

Evolution always means improvement

1. wilderness profile image95

How do you define "improvement" except whatever results in long term species survival?

7. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years ago

We may be close already.  How long will it be until we are willing and able to modify our genetics to fit into nearly any environment we want to?  Survive on Mars, or underwater, or as arboreal creatures. 

Should that happen, natural evolution will stop and what remains will be controlled by ourselves, resulting in a new species of man any time a new environment is acquired.  Around Betelgeuse, maybe.  Or perhaps a space-dwelling creature living off sunlight or gravity waves or the free hydrogen atoms out there (fusion reactor in our belly?).

Natural evolution will never stop. Even if you elimate all deaths from disease entirely, which is unlikely as virus and bacteria themselves also evolve, you would still have sexual selection, you would still have people who are attracted to risky pursuits dying off more quickly and having fewer children than people who aren't, you would still have some types of people simply wanting more children than other types of people, all of which would cause further evolution.

The closer a species will move to perfection the lesser will be the difference among its members in terms of choice, taste & knowledge. The sexual selection u r pointing at works for homo sapience well but may not work for a highly advanced species

we evolved due to our mating rituals...true. very very strong motivation for adaptation is sexual viability.

2. wilderness profile image95

Good point - seems like have read theories that Japanese people are breeding a smaller race as a result of population density while Americans are doing the opposite.  Changing environment results in a different sexual attraction.

Makes sense - the tall, dark and handsome American is replaced by the small, dark and handsome Japanese - he doesn't take up as much room in the smaller apartment dictated by large numbers of people.

2. profile image52

late again, sorry, but is that histoty repeating agin or what?  surely if time were relative, couldnt that just br the definition of infinity?

8. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Given the number who do not believe in evolution... we probably won't mutate much at all.. if we wait for them to understand what the ultimate outcomes could be evolution-wise roll

Not bad, u should write it down & who knws u may win a nobel prize for this neutral

9. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

we are walking zoos it seems

10. ceciliabeltran profile image65

we are made of cells that look like eukaryotes. our fetuses have gills, our limbic system is like that of a snake, and then a bird, then a mammal/dog then there's the new cortex which we share with chimpanzees. then it's growing on the frontal region ours is more advanced than all animals. it may be a theory but its true. we evolved from these animals because their mechanisms are within us.

so when we do evolve, that would not be us anymore. unless you agree we are still the same community of eukaryotes that continuously evolved.

Well, I don't buy your teory, but if you're happy with it, it's OK.
        Imagination is a very powerful tool.

its not my theory, it is THE EVOLUTION THEORY.

Sorry. The theory you believe in.
            that's what I meant by 'your'

do you have another theory other than the mythical one?

don't have any mythical theory. I don't believe in anything. In this evolution theory either. Yes, I have a theory, but as it is a theory and nothing else, I'm not going to discuss it in this forum.

You misunderstand what i mean by myth. I am a mythologist and have great respect for human myth.

But I don't believe in anything, no matter how much respect you have for myths. LOL

11. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Which is a belief in itself.
      Active Consciousness mandates belief, pro, neutral or con.

it is a belief in everything, true. a paradox

12. ceciliabeltran profile image65

merely finding out your position in evolution.

13. ceciliabeltran profile image65

that girl strayed in the wrong joint lol

14. wingedcentaur profile image63
      wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day Rishy Rich

I think a good way to approach your question is to combine the insights given already by ademaree, who talked about the possible man-made factor that might drive evolution; and that raised by Ixxy, who talked about the environmental imperative.

It seems to me that in trying to begin to imagine where a far distant point of evolution might take us, is to think about what environmental pressures are acting on us, that would seem to call for some kind of response.

For example, it is my understanding that ten million years ago, in Africa, the creatures that would give rise to both apes and us humans, lived in a very dense forest belt that stretched across the middle of the continent (horizontally on the map). The trees were very closely bunched together.

And so, the creatures living there relied on the sense of smell to navigate the area. Smell was most called for and dominant. The forest had a lot to do with how the creatures got around - hunched over on all fours (and swinging from vines?). Anyway their environment had everything to do with how they got around and which senses were most called for.

Later, for some reason, the forest belt thinned out considerably. The trees got further (or is it farther?) apart, more wide open spaces became visible. It would seem that this state of affairs called for an emphasis on the sense of sight over smell. Those creatures, under those circumstances, felt the desirability to walk more upright.

This had to do with certain changes in the spine and all the rest of it, the development of stamina to be able to travel longer distances at a clip, and so forth. So, if we want to imagine where a distant point in evolution might take us, we might begin by asking the question: What environmental pressures, if any, are acting upon us, and what specific organismic (I just invented the word 'organismic') responses seem to be called for.

I just close with this, in reference to the point made by ademaree, about technology. I think an interesting point of imaginative departure to take that is to think about the 'mentat' characters of the Dune novels of Frank Herbert and his son Brian Herbert and his co-author.

Have you read any of the Dune novels? "The spice must flow."

Take care.

15. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Actually I think humans right now are in a backward evolution. Normally the strongest and fittest survive; therefor only the best and fittest lived.

However in countries like the USA humans now have it too easy. Also with all this artificial help from medicine weak ones are breeding.

So, we now have humans with many hereditary diseases and aliments breeding even more weaker and diseased kids. Look at how many more diseases and so on we now have.

We are breeding a weaker and inferior race, not better. Each generation is getting more sick and weaker. So as to the original question, whatever species evolves forward, it's not going to be humans!

1. LeanMan profile image79
        LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are very correct, survival of the fittest is no longer relevant to the human race.. However as we progress in our scientific discoveries we are fast coming across ways to not just overcome some of these hereditary diseases but to reverse them.. It will not be long and it will not matter how you are born as you will be re-engineered to fitness.. I don't think as a race  we will allow pre-birth genetic engineering for fear of what we are doing etc.. but I can see many genetic diseases being eliminated in the very near future.

Our brains and our ability to overcome problems within our environment are what will help us to continue to survive..

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Well, there is a new theory that Autism is how we are evolving. And it gives a good insight on how evolution may have happened. It's called the Intense World Syndrome. The Autistic brain is hyper-plastic and hyper reactive. I have three autistic nephews and they hear EVERYTHING and feel EVERYTHING.

Some who do come out being verbal become highly specialized brainiacs. so it could be a stage in evolution where the genepool is generating a wide variety of "models" and those that have the capacity to reproduce will be creating the next breed of human race.

It is chaos now, but it is a stage. Next stage it will start to be the norm more than the exception. It is highly possible we are evolving into better species and we are medicating it away.

16. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years ago

Existence ... Is a "Stasis" ... wrongly Perceived as Evolution.

17. Paul Wallis profile image69
      Paul Wallisposted 13 years ago

It's a bit too convenient to assume all these "points" in a process which by definition is continuous and contains the potential for variation and digression by nature. All life on Earth includes speciation and development in various forms. Things like termites, cockroaches and Hymenoptera have a range of ancient common forms which have expanded widely from a basic lineage.

Any ultimate point in Evolution would be stagnation by definition.To date, evolution has produced types of life which have existed for hundreds of millions of years, yet gone extinct. The inability to evolve means the end. Situations change, and life is obliged to change with them to survive. Viability involves evolution.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

insects are considered to be more "evolved" than humans eg have 4 colour vision channels; humans have 3

18. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Look for a point or goal in evolutuion is, IMHO, missing the basic idea of what evolution is.

19. qwark profile image62
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

There is no "ultimate point" in evolution.
      It is eternal and limitless.
      Qwark

1. SEO Ibiza profile image61
        SEO Ibizaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm, in general yes, in specific instances it can plateau.

for example sharks aren't evolving very fast any more?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)