Which is worse: premeditated murder or a crime of passion?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

So we punish premeditated murder, or first degree murder) more harshly than we do unpremeditated murder (or second degree murder). The idea, I guess, is that someone who would deliberately kill another person, make a plan, and carry out the crime even though he realizes that it's against the law is somehow more dangerous than the guy who loses his temper and kills someone in the heat of the moment.

What do you think? Is the guy who deliberately plans to kill a person more dangerous than the guy who loses it and kills someone? Or is the guy who can't control his own actions when he's angry more dangerous than the guy who deliberately takes a life?

Why do you think so?

(I put this in the philosophy section to underline that I'm not trying to make an argument for or against capital punishment or the goodness or badness of our legal system; I just want to talk about what's worse: plotting to kill a specific person or losing one's temper and killing someone 'cos you're mad?)

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, your first sentence explains it all.  There's a reason our laws are what they are.  Intent, especially deliberate, planned, action is more hostile in the long run.

Sometimes the actions of others make a situation so that the person doesn't have time to ponder on what to do or what should be done, like paradigmsearch pointed out.  In a case like that, who's the actual victim?----the husband who finds his wife in bed with someone else!

2. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In the wild, if you are careful where you tread and don't poke a stick at a deadly snake, it will leave you alone. If you provoke it- it will bite you.

On the other hand...

In the wild, it doesn't matter how careful you are or how lightly you tread, if there's a lion or a shark out there, they are going to hunt you.

The predator is the most dangerous.

Same as the premeditated murderer.

3. hujahangir profile image60
      hujahangirposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes premeditated murder is more dangerous than passion murder. A guy who has premeditated for murder bears the guilty mind that is the prime requirement for criminal offense. passion murder is culpable homicide while premeditated murder is absolutely a murder and it is more punishable than murder.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Yep - it don't matter to the victim.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Walking in on some guy doing your wife is indeed considered a mitigating circumstance; especially in Texas.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I don't think it makes an iota of difference to the dead person, does it?

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Neither are going to produce good results, but one who plans is more dangerous than the one who simply loses control of their temper.

Granted, losing control of your temper enough, a fit of rage, beyond all comprehension of reason, isn't good especially if it takes someone's life, but it's done with much thought versus one who carefully plans out every detail to take someone's life.

6. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Carp!  I agree with Cagsil again!  big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cool

7. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Does the moment matter? I mean, the guy who walks in on his wife in bed with another man is probably not going to be in that situation again (since he killed both of them, right?) But what about the guy who kills someone in some other "crime of passion" situation?

8. Mighty Mom profile image78

So what are we saying?
    When it comes to killing someone, passion (emotion) is ok but thinking (premeditation) is bad?

If I carry a gun around with me and some guy road rages on me and I shoot him -- is that a crime of passion?

Road Rage? Isn't a crime of passion. It's stupidity gone awry. lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That guy that cut me off on the Freeway last week had it coming. Besides, 7 years isn’t that long...

More than 5 minutes is too long. tongue

9. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"If I carry a gun around with me and some guy road rages on me and I shoot him -- is that a crime of passion?" Good one. That would seem to consolidate the two. Premeditated in the sense that there must be some premeditated intention, in certain circumstance, and using it as an act of passion.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78

Of course those so-called crimes of passion are much easier to wiggle out of with the insanity defense.
    Hard to use that to explain why you took a contract out on your business partner (even if he did sleep with your wife sad)

lol lol lol lol lol

11. Mighty Mom profile image78

Ah. But if you shot him BEFORE he cut you off you'd be looking at 25-life lol

12. Andrew Gubb profile image57
    Andrew Gubbposted 12 years ago

well, i'm not sure which is "worse" but if you premeditate your murder you have time to think about the law and so on. So the whole deterrent thing can come into play. Whereas deterrents will never work much on people who lose their heads, so there's almost no point in punishing them.

If the law is supposed to be about deterring and not plain old vengeance, that is. If the law is about vegeance, then carry on...

13. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 12 years ago

Obviously they're both very serious crimes and should be punished, but I feel premeditated murder is worse. If you're the kind of person who can carefully calculate the details of how you're going to end someone's life, you're barely human. It's frightening.

14. Sethareal profile image59
    Setharealposted 12 years ago

I think it has to do with the likelihood of if it will be a repeat occurrence. Someone who plans a murder for whatever reason seems like they may do it again, especially if they go unpunished, whereas someone who loses control in a moment probably had very specific circumstances that drove them to murder (i.e. finding your wife in bed with another man).

It makes little sense though, I mean in English we only have a few words like 'kill' 'murder' 'slay', I remember studying Ancient Greek in college and I believe there were something like 9 words each with different sets of connotation and meaning. Society slaughters the innocent wholesale for the most trivial of reasons, such as deaths related to 'driving cars' are about the same as deaths related to 'gun violence' in America yet there are no lobby groups to outlaw cars, we write those deaths off not as murders but, 'accidents'.

What is the old saying? Kill a man and they call you a murderer, kill thousands and they call you a king, kill millions and they call you God.

15. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

Premeditation indicates clear headed focus[emotions under control].Crimes of passion[emotional lose of control]is a clear indication of emotional immaturity[the child within takes control]so to consider them equal would not be fair....and then there's what the shrinks call"The invited slap"which brings us to a whole other level.If you push the right buttons...you can get a person to do anything.So who is the victim in that case...?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)