Someone please explain?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have a question and maybe it might rack a few brain cells.

Is choice evil?

Have fun with it. lol

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is choice evil?

No! Didn't have much fun.

Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't expect many to have fun with it. That statement was made in sarcasm. wink

2. Ann1Az2 profile image74
      Ann1Az2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no. It depends on what you are making the choice about. If the choice is between right and wrong, and you choose wrong, the choice could be evil. If you choose right, the choice could be good.

And how do you tell right from wrong?

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is an inate thing.  You know without knowing.

Some would say that yes. wink

2. Ann1Az2 profile image74

Right and wrong as defined by worldly standards or right and wrong by Godly standards? Because what's considered right in man's eyes may not be from God's point of view. However, anything the devil wants you to do is definitely wrong, both by men's standards (if they'd admit it) and by God's.

Keep G/god out of this conversation. This isn't a religious topic. But, thank you.

1. Ann1Az2 profile image74

I'm out of the conversation. Thank you.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All depends on the definition of evil.

Yeah, that much was figured. Many people have different perceptions of what is 'evil' and what is not.

4. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes.
      Choice is the involuntary [re]action called reason, that is adverse or opposed to the betterment of the individual -or better stated, the true nature of the individual.
      Choice is necessity or necessitative, therefore lacking complete illumination or understanding. This is the actual definition of evil -the lack of complete illumination/understanding.

James

Interesting statement James.

1. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apparently so interesting, it scared the bjinga's out of respondents. lol

I don't think so. I do think that many wouldn't bother with it because of the category I put it in. lol

5. leroy64 profile image64
      leroy64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can one exist without the other?

Answering a question with a question. A common approach. I would say that yes one would be able to exist without the other. Having said that, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to disagree and/or agree. Almost everyone has a different perception, which is derived from the knowledge gain and turned to wisdom, and not everyone has the same amount of knowledge gained nor do they possess the same amount of wisdom as others(both are going to be varied).

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Slightly off topic, but veering into the "have fun with it" instruction.
          Recently watched (for the 100th time) "Master and Commander."
          There is a delightful scene in which Captain Jack and the officers are eating and drinking and making merry below decks.
          Captain Jack turns to his learned friend the ship's doctor and asks him to make a scientific judgment about two small worms advancing toward a baked good on his plate.
          The good doctor sizes them both up and pronounces the bigger, fatter, faster worm superior.
          Barely containing himself,Captain Jack, engendering a groan and a hearty laugh from everyone at the table, corrects the doctor's appraisal with his own learned opinion that, in circumstances such as these, it is always wisest to pick the .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
          lesser of two weevils.
          smile

lol lol lol

2. leroy64 profile image64
          leroy64posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I will take a stab at working through this.

Should choice then be an action? 

Use it in a sentence.  "He made a choice. He has a choice to make."  I am willing to go with choice as an action.

Hypothesis: That suggests free will.
          A choice between evil and what?
          A choice between evil and good?  Good is not a part of the question.
          A choice between two evils?  Limited options suggest a lack of free will and then:  What is the point of defining evil?. 
          A choice of infinite possibilities?  Move forward with this.
          Then the nature of the choice would imply the nature of the person choosing, based on another observer's (society?) definition of evil. 
          I would say choice may be a sign pointing to the nature of the person choosing, but choice is not evil in itself.

How did I do?  Don't hold back.

Okay. smile lol

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Evil can only result from choice, as the right man's burden.

Interesting statement.

3. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

If we're talking about the debate about a soldier taking orders - a solider acting an order is still making a choice, and whether that action is legal or not has no bearing on whether it is moral. The killing of Jews was legal under Nazi law, but most would consider it immoral. If someone physically does not have a choice, then no, the action can not be moral nor immoral.

Actually, this doesn't have anything to do with that conversation.

This is in the Education and Science- Philosophy category
      Someone always has two choices. Do or Do nothing. All actions are tied to morals.

4. WretchedRapture profile image66
    WretchedRaptureposted 11 years ago

Choice is not evil, but choices can be.

Who, How, What decides the choice is evil?

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Well, if you want to have fun, use rephrase the question using the word choice in the context of abortion. Then you can get a bunch of people to call it evil.

That's when language gets fun. Half (I'm being generous with percentages here) of the people will say, "choice" is evil, and the other half will say "choice" is enlightenment.

Fun for everyone!

What's up Shades? smile Always nice to see you haunting the forums. I take it you're already on your second or third by now. So in a couple of hours you might actually be in perfect form for some real fun? tongue lol

But, yes you are correct. I'm positive if I changed the context of what choice had to be made, then I would have a bunch of people telling me all about how they feel.

But then again, I didn't put this in the political or religious forums, so I guess it's unlikely to get the "fundies" to come out and actually think for a change.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

How can we tell right from wrong?
    Some would argue that if you have to think about it, you're already wrong.
    lol

I'm sure some would Mighty Mom. lol

7. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 11 years ago

"Right" and "wrong" are simply subjective standards that we all use. Over the course of our lives we will find things that we viewed as either perhaps being viewed differently.

I know I have reached that point several times.

Choice, in and of itself, simply is... "Right" or "wrong" are simply labels that can be placed on choice itself, or the choice selected, depending on the person viewing it.

Even using the "God's Standards" or "Worldy Standards" titles are flawed, for these are by no means universal. Christians as a whole can't figure out what "Christianity" is, or who "Christians" even are. They've been fighting for two thousand years and still can't come to consensus...

In terms of Islam, there are four distinctive schools of thought, with contradictions amongst them, and then there are Sufi's with another set of ideas altogether...all competing and fighting with one another...

I don't see consensus anywhere..

Thank you Mike. smile

8. endless sea profile image59
    endless seaposted 11 years ago

It is based on what choice you make and what are the criteria of your "Evil". People have different ways to see evil, and then you combine choices with it its even more random a question with no fix answer the answer can be no or yes based of choice person makes..Giving some one right of choice is not an evil that much I can say smile

Okay. Thank you. smile

9. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

LOL, I can tell it's been a long day already because I thought you were asking if evil was a choice. This is a good one and I'm having lots of fun with it Cags. I think choice is freedom. Is freedom evil?

Some might think so. And from what a lot of other people think, apparently they would be wrong. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)