Samuel L Jackson is a racist punk !

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

Sammy ,Sammy, Sammy ,....... belittling  the "white guy"   interviewer for mistaking you for Lawrence Fishburn ,  Gee musta really hurt your pride  huh ! .......... Here's the thing about todays "racism " ,It works both ways now doesn't it...... ! You are a bright and talented actor ,except for the ego problem you have ....a little insecure are you ? You know in almost all  ways, it isn't the color of our skin that makes us different , it's what's inside !   Because you happen to wear your prejudiced badge on the outside doesn't give you the right to flash it any more than the skinheads do !  I am no racist  but I do know how they think .  I've got my badge  just like you do . You see, I was born  of  Scotch- Irish poor working class  America . You know the one's that built your railroads ,  dug your  coal mines ,  I worked your sweat shop factories , and  stood in soup lines ,  But then- I also turned the tide of battle in your  "Civil"  War"...Built the iron bridges that you "marched " across ,.....here's the thing   If I were that  reporter I would have reached across the table an smacked you for being a real  racist ,  the guy made a mistake , of course you don't do that ! Do you ? Give him a break , or i'm coming down there !

THINK ABOUT WHO THE REAL RACIST"S ARE !

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/1 … sam-rubin/

Interesting. Embarrassing for the interviewer, but still... pretty big mistake considering he is the entertainment reporter.

But then Samuel L. Jackson could have been more generous, could have offered a little grace, but put yourself in his shoes for a moment, you don't know what he's remembering... a lifetime full of racism... of being seen for your skin color and not for who you are as a person.

Now Lawrence Fishburn (who I've always had a bit of a crush on) had a different reaction.
      http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv … z2tD4pvKmr

A huge ego, usually comes from a place of insecurity.
      Maybe if you require the talented Samuel L Jackson to offer mercy, you should offer it to him? smile

2. Becky Katz profile image81
      Becky Katzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would be more likely to give him a pass, if I hadn't heard him say that he only voted for Obama because he was black. The man is a racist in the worst way. Life is rough, especially for black people. That does not give them a pass to act like an a$$. Bill Cosby had it rough too, and he is gracious and kind to all. That is what a REAL man does.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One of the reasons I would vote for Hillary is because she is a woman.  I guess that makes me sexist.

1. Man-Bat profile image58
          Man-Batposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, it just means you see people and want to give them special privileges based on nothing but gender. Not merit, not to someone who actually deserves to get the job, or someone who works harder, but to someone based on their genitals. It just makes you <personal attack>.

2. Aime F profile image70
        Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Awkward.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
          Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know. When I saw that I fell out of the chair laughing.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't read every post on this thread, so i apologize if what im about to say is something that's already been repeated.  My honest thoughts about this is...who cares?  The reporter obviously made a mistake.  Maybe it was a slip of the tongue sort of deal, and Samuel L. Jackson took it offensively thinking since the guy is white, he probably thinks all black guys look the same.  Maybe slj has a lot of experiences growing up around racist white guys like that.  And let's be honest here people, we all know there's people that think like that even to this day.

However, you're right that racism is a two way street, as there is such a thing as reverse racism as well.  Having said all that, I really can't take a definitive side, as i didn't see the interview.  But based on what you told me, it sounds like it was the reporter's fault if anything.  He should've known who he was talking to prior to the interview, and he never should've made that error to begin with.  Granted, you can slj overreacted, and he probably could've found a better way to handle it.  But again, maybe the guy grew up around a lot of white racists that thought all minorities looked the same, and probably thought that the white guy interviewing him was one of those types of racists.  Who really knows?

Personally, i think your overreacting to this whole thing.  Hell, this is almost as ridiculous as when i read on espn that congress wants to pressure the washington redskins to change their name because it's too racist against native americans.  Now, im actually one quarter native american myself, so i think i can say this openly without sounding like a damn racist.  But to be honest, those congressman pressuring the redskins owner to change the name don't give a damn about the native americans the name of the redskins offend.  I mean seriously?

I would think that buck tooth a**hole indian logo for the cleveland indians logo would be far more racist than the redskins name.  Just saying.  Plus, everyone with half a brain knows that they're just using that crap campaign to cover up the real problems we have in this country.  Congress doesn't give a s*** about native americans' feelings anymore than they care about white people's feelings.  It's just a smoke screen if you ask me to cover up the real problems in the usa.   

anyways, to get back to your topic, it sounds like it might've been a misunderstanding over an honest mistake.  Again, i could be dead wrong, as i didn't see the interview, but i'm going to give them both the benefit of the doubt here.  The guy probably just had a slip of the tongue, or memory relapse or whatever (as i doubt anyone working in the entertainment industry doesn't know who samuel l jackson or even who laurence fishburne is), and samuel l. jackson got offended by it; thinking that the guy was probably one of those racists that think all black guys look alike.  Again, it's a simple misunderstanding over an honest mistake.  There's my two cents based on what you described.

1. Man-Bat profile image58

It isn't "reverse racism" it's just racism, that term is quite racist within itself, and the fact that people even need to point out that racism is a two way street indicates a pretty big fucking problem. You don't think SLJ would've grown up around racist people from other races?? You just assume it's white people, which comes across rather racist to me. Those are the two things I disagree with. But it seems today people are too afraid to criticize black people, and let them know they have responsibility. I don't give a fuck what race you are, if you're racist you're racist. And if you assume "all white people" then that's another clear indication, because it's most likely some white people are racist, some black people are racist, some asian people are racist, some indigenous people are racist etc. The fact that you singe out whites just doesn't help the stopping racist narrative.

4. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

RACISM
      The T-shirt test
      If you can put it on a T-shirt and no one comments on it then its OK

I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD OF IT  =  OK

I'M WHITE AND I'M PROUD OF IT = RACIST

Try it and see what reaction you get!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The interviewer was an idiot and SEJ was offended.  I would give the entire exchange to SEJ in a points decision. After all, it is the interviewer's job to know who he is talking to.

1. profile image0

*SLJ lol...

Oops

1. profile image0

lol. That's what the interviewer said.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Ok, I'm just commenting on this now cause I think it's an interesting topic, not cause I'm taking sides with anyone in particular.
    Though I am a huge L. Fishburn fan, and not so much a S. Jackson fan, they are both incredible actors. You wouldn't say they are *the biggest names in Hollywood, like B. Pitt or G. Clooney, but they are certainly at the top.

So let's take some white guys. Huge actors, though your G'ma may not know their names.
    White guy #1
    Ryan Gosling... hubba and hubba.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8737418_f248.jpg

White guy # 2
    Bradley Cooper... hold on, I've lost my ability to form thought.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8737458_f248.jpg

What about these two women?
    Kirsty Alley
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8737467_f248.jpg
    Meg Foster
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8737471_f248.jpg

So my point is, if you take race out of it... you just have two really similar artists who, though granted don't look a lot alike, have a lot of similarities and what with both doing commercials, the guy got a brain cramp. He is supposed to be a professional, and from that standpoint, he failed miserably, but he's also human... show me any human who hasn't made a mistake. S. Jackson could have been kind, he could have let it go, but who knows what kind of setbacks and hurts life has dealt him that would cause him to go on and on like that. Either way, if this wasn't a racial thing, it's just a human thing and any of us are capable of flubbing up once in a while.

Let's take a moment and go back to that pic of R. Gosling, shall we? Does anyone else think it's adorable the way it looks like he tried to get his hair to lie down with water, but he couldn't so he just gave up?

1. Bk42author profile image94
      Bk42authorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think Ryan Gosling is cute but I love Bradley Cooper! Here are two that I think look a lot alike, Jason Sudeikis (whom I have a crush on and Ed Helms.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8738075.png

1. profile image0

I enjoy Jason too... although I hate We're the Millers... ugh, awful.
        Can we get back to Colin? Does anyone else think brown eyes are to die for?

Hahaha...yes I admit I've always thought Colin has beautiful eyes! He also seems like he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with.

1. profile image0

I would have to be satisfied listening to him talk. I love an Irish accent.

I have a pic of myself that kind of looks like your pic. Its weird.
            I will put it up, it's probably just my imagination.

Edit... ok, I clicked on your pic. I guess it was my imagination.. I think it was the blond hair.  Nm! smile

Yes! Love an Irish accent, too! smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
      schoolgirlforrealposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes to the comment about R.Gosling.
      LOL

funny thread! smile

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

And yet how many times to interviewers get the wrong white person?  I can't think of one--but this is far from the first 'wrong black guy' gaff.

There are experiments that show people have more trouble telling individuals from other races apart, the theory being that we judge individual difference based on our own face as a template.  So we are better at distinguishing a pair of faces similar to our own face than a pair that are less similar to our own.

1. profile image0

Are you sure you don't want to talk about Ryan Goslings hair?

I am more a Jeremy Irons girl, or anyone on Crossing Lines http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2427220/fullcredits

1. profile image0

Ive not seen that. I am really looking forward to A Winter's Tale with Colin Farrell... I'll just post a pic in case you don't know him.
          http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8737599_f248.jpg
          Take a moment...

Ok... that's probably the last ridiculously beautiful male's pic. I should post for the day. smile

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
            schoolgirlforrealposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL.. I like how you posted the 4 photos above earlier...showing how people often look alike. I notice that kind of thing all the time

1. profile image0

Thank you for reposting the pic. of Colin Farrell.

2. Man-Bat profile image58

Then it isn't racism...It's biology.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 10 years ago

It must be painful or at least  politically un- correct in these times to question the grey areas of REAL racist's !   Otherwise  George Clooney  might not even come into the discussion and that's fine . Jackson is a hothead , I've always seen that, and I love his acting , he needs to go back to the "Actors studio " and relearn his lessons though   , the one's that  teach understanding , tolerance , and maturity ! Pure and simple .  Sammy was no slave .....nor was the interviewer a slaveholder ! There ! I said it .........Time to get over yourself  Sam !

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I just heard Morgan Freeman doing a Visa commercial.
    I doubt he will be granting that reporter any interviews.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

(Shrugs) That "RoboCop" remake Sam is in can use all the press it can get.

Side note: when I first heard that SLJ was gonna play a "media personality" in the new "RoboCop" movie, I hoped he would be the game-show host guy seen frequently in the original... just to hear him say "I would motherf**king buy that for a motherf**king dollar."

1. profile image0

I saw that movie in the theater... I must have been like 18?? I barely remember parts of it.
      But I could watch a movie yesterday and still forget Ive seen it. Ive rented the same movie several times until my husband is like, "Are you kidding me?"

8. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

RoboCop is my all time favorite movie. I saw it in the theater back in the day too (and countless times since on video).

I'm not enthused by what I've seen/heard about the new version.

1. profile image0

Wow, really?
      It's kind of funny we're talking about this on this thread, but I watched Elysium the other day and William Fichtner was one of the stars:
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8738984_f248.jpg

And I kept trying to remember if he was the guy who starred in Robocop: Peter Weller
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8738989_f248.jpg

9. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

another thread has risen from the dead, lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)