You could count on one hand the list of Disney moms that survive to the credits. Why do you think so many moms are shot, maimed, and snuffed out when it comes to children's entertainment?
As with superheros, removing their normal support system forces them to be resourceful, setting the stage for the sensational means by which they will overcome their challenges to unfold.
I read a quote that said something like, 'Character begins at the missing of the mother.' I'm sure it has to do with being independent. Still seems a bit.. murderous, don't you think? I didn't see Brave, but I heard her mom lived. Seems like an oversight on Disney's part.
I don't know if killing off the moms is Disney style per se. Killing of the mom may happen frequently in the "princess" movies, but generally speaking, the moms live in Disney movies. A few famous examples:
1. Sleeping Beauty's mom didn't die and they were reunited.
2. Simba lost his dad, not his mother.
3. The fate of Ariel's mother wasn't really discussed (I always imagined she spent her days in Triton's undersea harem)
4. The Dalmatians' returned to their mom.
5. The Aristcats returned to their mom, too.
6. Minnie Mouse must have had a living mom, as Mickey was late going to dinner at her house.
7. Poor Pinocchio didn't even get a mom
8. Dumbo was reunited with his mom.
9. Winnine the Pooh had neither mom nor dad.
10. The Mom was the only parent around in "Old Yeller".
11. "Freak Friday" would never have occurred without the mom.
12. The mom character was integral in plot of "The Parent Trap" films.
13. The much put-upon Chicha from "The Emperor's New Groove" was at home 24-7 for her children.
14. Wendy, John and Michael may have treated their mom like she was dead as a door nail..but Mrs. Darling was waiting at home with open arms once the ungrateful brats got bored with Never Land.
15. In the controversial "Song of the South", Johnny's parents only separate, and he lives with his mom until his near-death experience when dad suddenly returns and the parents are reconciled.
Read this article in The Atlantic. It discusses the topic at length. I've heard comedians make the joke for years, but this is the first time I've seen how many women died and how (including Ariel's mom apparently.)
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc … ad/372270/
Eh, I don't know..I'd rather my little ones believe Ariel's mom is safe in the harem than ending up in their tuna casserole. But she WAS delicious!
It's a quick and efficient way to sympathize with the main character. Of course he's [insert emotion here]--his mom is dead! Of course he [insert rash action here]--his mom is dead!
And so on.
You're thinking of Bambi right now, aren't you? Don't cry.
Actually, though it has nothing to do with moms, I was thinking about Gurren Lagann, and how Kamina's death is what drives the show forward (but only after driving the show into a suicidal depression).
You are not allowed to randomly mention anime and stuff like that without some kind of reference. Is this a show or comic book or what?
Rapunzel's real mom is alive-- and the woman R thinks is her mother is too. I only saw Tangled once-- could be wrong.
by Mamelody 8 years ago
Yesterday I went out to a birthday party of one my dear friends. Everything was going well when suddenly these two girls (really hot girls by the way) started going off at each other and naturally it turned into a real girl fight.I mean clothes were being ripped off and scratches everywhere, these...
by Crissy 13 months ago
Why does my husband avoid me since my mom died ?My mother died 5 months ago and I've needed him more then ever and he finds anyway to avoid me! Why r we falling apart over this
by Libra 4 years ago
Do stay-at -home moms get the recognition they deserve?There has been a lot of debate on this topic. What is your opinion?
by CWanamaker 4 years ago
Why does food taste better when it's prepared by mom?
by tim kenner 8 years ago
Suffering draws us closer to God, God could say the word and all our toubles would go away. It's through struggles that are true self comes into light and we either turn to God and trust in Him or go the other way and get drowned in defeat and discouragement. Why do you think God allows terrible...
by mikielikie 5 years ago
Are the MTV Teen Moms show hurting or helping young girls?Do you think that the MTV show "Teen Moms" is helping or hurting young women's view of pregnancy at an early age?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|