jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone remember a T.V. show in the 70's called Tales of The Golden Monkey,

1. Dave Harris profile image75
    Dave Harrisposted 7 years ago

Does anyone remember a T.V. show in the 70's called Tales of The Golden Monkey, kind of Indiana...

Jones-esque

2. Tammy L profile image78
    Tammy Lposted 7 years ago

Absolutely.  I loved that show.  It starred Stephen Collins as Jake.  He had beagle (i think) named Jack.  His plane was a water plane and it was called something Goose.  I think Roddy McDowell was a regular too.

3. Dave Harris profile image75
    Dave Harrisposted 7 years ago

Hey Tammy L, thanks for the info, I didn't know who played Jack, I remember his dog Jake, didn't the dog have one eye?, I maybe mistaken. Good to know I didn't dream it all! Lol

4. MystMoonstruck profile image81
    MystMoonstruckposted 6 years ago

The dog was a Jack Russell terrier.

I have this series on videotape from long, long ago. It's a favorite in our family. We still make Jake/Jack jokes. Remember the natives worshiping Jack? How did that go...?
    a) "Jack's not a god!" ~ Jake
    b) "HE thinks he is!" ~ Corky

Actually, "Tales" drew from the same old sources as "Indy", including "Terry and the Pirates", Milt Caniff's comic strip that became a film and a series. Actually, now that I think about it, "Tales" IS a lot more like "T&TP". Toss in some of the old cliffhanger style, and they're all connected.

Jake flew a Grumman Goose called "Cutter's Goose". He'd use Jack's eye in card games, then Jack would have to wear an eyepatch, which he growled about. *snicker* Then, there was the debate about one bark/two barks; it always seemed to change around yes/no then no/yes.

Here's the Wikipedia page, which has lots more information for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_the_Gold_Monkey

5. Robert Sacchi profile image85
    Robert Sacchiposted 8 months ago

Yes, I remember the show.  I liked the show.  It was an obvious attempt to have a TV show cash in on the Raiders of the Lost Ark popularity.  This is similar to Battlestar Gallactica trying to ride on the success of Star Wars.  The TV series came out in 1982.  Tales of the Gold Monkey could be described as Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Casablanca.

working