jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you ever concider giving up your television?

1. ahorseback profile image78
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Would you ever concider giving up your television?

A good friend of mine had removed the televisions from his home a few years ago ,  and for a time had a bumpersticker  that stated , "KILL YOUR TELEVISION" , there on the back of his truck.  How many of you think television is the  downfall of our society?  Do you beleive your life diminished  by the thousands of hours you will spend in your chair ....and missing out on real sensory  deprivation .....missing out on life itself? Living more as we were meant to live ?, active in society ?, in the outdoors? ,in relating on a personal level to humanity?

2. tonymac04 profile image89
    tonymac04posted 7 years ago

I hardly ever watch TV except for the news. I think TV tends to separate us and keep us inactive and uninvolved with the world and those around us. It is, in other words, alienating, in my view.
    I like Stephen  King's nickname for the TV - he calls it "the glass teat" - and I think he's right about that. It tends to infantilise us.

3. profile image28
    SimonS12posted 7 years ago

I personally don't think that television is the downfall of our society. Maybe we just tend to use it too much. Television has advantages, with it we get to see news and know what's going on in our surroundings. It also helps us unwind and relax or it even entertain us during our most boring moments. The disadvantage is we spend too much time on it that's why we miss a lot in our daily activities. If people will only learn how to use things properly and moderately then we get to see that most of the things are created for good use.

4. CheyenneAutumn profile image60
    CheyenneAutumnposted 7 years ago

It has been a long time since I sat down just to watch a program on TV.. longer still since there was much there to watch, Other then the History or Science channels,However it does keep me company with the background voices as I do other things... so I guess its a keeper.

Closed to reply

working