jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Why do you think vampire shows and movies are so popular?

1. Moon Willow Lake profile image81
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 7 years ago

Why do you think vampire shows and movies are so popular?

2. Stephanieaaarrr profile image60
    Stephanieaaarrrposted 7 years ago

I feel like Twilight performed cpr on vampires, and now it's easy to make money off of so everyone's cashing in while they can. I don't remember vampires being so in before 2008. I could be wrong though

3. tomsum profile image82
    tomsumposted 7 years ago

Yeah, I think Twilight made vampires 'Romantic' again. And 'Romance' is a very big, and very accessbile market. Seen as how Vampires are the current 'romantic' trend because of the Twilight books, you have lots of people attempting to cash on in!

4. Gary Rowell profile image58
    Gary Rowellposted 7 years ago

I think it was revived with some newer movies and it gave a little "fresh" entertainment for these times, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon maybe because the new shows are more refined than before.

5. lynevejcnt profile image56
    lynevejcntposted 7 years ago

I have no clue! have not seen Twilight or dont care much to see it.. so idk why people are so attracted to vampires right now! but to each its own!

6. selene383 profile image60
    selene383posted 7 years ago

Well... In all honesty I don't know why they are so popular, I like suspense horror movies better.

7. ttrash profile image57
    ttrashposted 7 years ago

anyone who claims Twilight revived vampire literature is delusional. Possibly some of the most poorly written books, all they did was turn a fierce and engaging character into a soppy story that 12 year olds love.

I believe that other books, shows and movies based around vampires and most other supernaturals are so popular because like most other fiction, people love escaping to a place completely different to ours.

8. FacetiousRemark profile image71
    FacetiousRemarkposted 7 years ago

'Monsters' have usually been a product of the era when they become particularly big, revealing some kind of comment about that time period. Back in the day, you had the outsiders threatening a community, like Dracula or Frankenstein, then the bestiality within man himself, such as with Jekyll and Hyde. Zombies, as especially highlighted by Romero, showed a concern for becoming mindless, consumerism-driven drones. This new rise of vampirism seems to show a more internal threat, one that largely looks and acts like normal people; with the recent shows like Tru Blood and the like, vampires are pretty much accepted parts of society. The fact that vampires seem to be seen as increasingly attractive figures could perhaps show a fear inside people of being normal -- that these beings are attractive because of their superpowers, their superhumanism.

Plus, have to agree, their mingling with romance has really upped their appeal. Their preening and general glossy appearance certainly makes them perhaps the most attractive and sexual of the undead figures.

working