jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What's with the fascination about vampire?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image77
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What's with the fascination about vampire?

Why do people like to watch vampire movies, read stories about it?

2. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

An escape from reality maybe? I prefer the novels of Laurel K Hamilton, Keri Arthur, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris and Kelley Armstrong - several of which (particularly Laurel) feature vampires - over the Twilight trilogy or any of the new vampire stories that have surfaced since the Twilight series. 
    I guess we don't have actual fact to fix it to, so our imagination can just take over and transport us elsewhere.  Other novels are often based in actual places, or places so similar to where we are, it's not really an escape.

Perhaps it's that those in these novels/movies can get away with things that we would all secretly be able to get away with, so we live vicariously through them.

I'm not sure.  I just enjoy them is all!

1. calynbana profile image82
      calynbanaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Give Anne Rice a try

3. calynbana profile image82
    calynbanaposted 5 years ago

Well the vampire used to be a representation of our Id. They were the raw, instinctive violent side of us that we keep in check. They were fascinating because they have the freedom that we desire. They are immortal, they can have sex and be violent as much as they choose without consequence. They can indulge all their desires. They are the exact opposite of what we are. So we want what they have and indulge that want be engaging in the books and movies.

Now a days the vampires have become a tool for escape from our world into some sick sexual fantasy where we inhabit an empty shell of a character (ahem Bella) and are able to surrender ourselves completely to the raw and dangerous love of a beast.

Its basically a tool for exploring the primal part of ourselves.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Several series of very popular books featuring vampires hit the stands a few years ago and it got lots of people into the vampire mode.  It is much like zombies were a forgotten breed until Walking Dead came out, now people everywhere are talking about zombies and how to survive a zombie attack.

Many people tend to be sheep and follow whatever trend comes down the pike.

1. jlpark profile image85
      jlparkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, Twilight etc seem to give this impression. Several authors have been writing their vampire series for over 10yrs, prior to this huge todo about Twilight. Laurel K Hamilton is on book 22 of her Anita Blake series + still awesome.

working