jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

What is your favorite musical movie of all time?

1. MichaelStonehill profile image60
    MichaelStonehillposted 6 years ago

What is your favorite musical movie of all time?

2. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 6 years ago

Mary Poppins. A classic and wholesome musical movie.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

White Christmas.  I enjoy it just as much every year and love the music and dancing.

4. northweststarr profile image76
    northweststarrposted 6 years ago

"Singing In the Rain" Classic and wonderful.  I also think "Moulin Rouge" earns an honorable mention.

5. lilian_sg profile image75
    lilian_sgposted 6 years ago

Definitely Sound of Music. I hope to visit Austria someday thanks to this!

6. Rosie2010 profile image76
    Rosie2010posted 6 years ago

I love "The King and I" and I would say it's my all time favourite.   I love musical plays and movies so it's really hard for me to choose a favourite.

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image58
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

Singin' in the Rain for original movies.

The Music Man for movie musicals based upon a Broadway musical.

My answer for this will change from time to time as a rewatch movies.  But my answers will all be from classic movies, not recent movies wher I'm not sure how they will stand the test of time.

8. breathing profile image60
    breathingposted 6 years ago

The Sound Of Music is my favorite musical movie of all time.

9. Kate Spenser profile image83
    Kate Spenserposted 6 years ago

This is a really hard question, but I think I'd have to go with Newsies. I guess it's something of a cult classic among those of "my generation" (currently in their mid-20s to mid-30s), but I grew up watching it and can pretty much recite and sing along with every word of the movie.

I also really love the movie version of West Side Story, and I credit it with bringing about my love of musical theater.

10. LaynieLou profile image56
    LaynieLouposted 6 years ago

Newsies!!!!!

Christian Bale is a doll!
    Don't know what it is about that movie......it's just so unique and (did I mention) impossible to find anymore..?

11. profile image37
    independentmindedposted 6 years ago

West Side Story...hands down!  It's a classic that never grows old!

The brilliant and intense Bernstein musical score, the beautifully-choreographed dancing, the wonderful cast and acting (except for Beymer), the beautifully designed scenery,  the great cinematography and costumes, and the very story behind West Side Story are combined into a dynamic little package that makes this great movie/musical classic a movie that's so great that I could watch it over and over and over again, and never get tired of it.

As a devout fan of the film West Side Story who has attended virtually every screening of this classic in our area, has seen several stage productions of WSS, including the newer, more up to date Broadway stage revival (which I was more critical of),  and, believe it or not, has even made several special road trips into neighboring states to see this film,  I say that the next time a screening of WSS comes to a movie theatre in your area...jump at the opportunity to see it.  It's an enriching, unforgettable experience, whether one's seen it before or not. 

The MGM quotation  "Unlike other classics, West Side  Story grows younger" is so true!

working