What's the Best Musical?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 54 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Sauvignon profile image61
    Sauvignonposted 14 years ago

And not necessarily Broadway but on the Big Screen

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My favourite is West Side Story.

1. pddm67 profile image59
      pddm67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mine too!

3. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

My favorite is Sweeney Todd. I know, I'm weird... but the music and story are amazing and I was in the pit orchestra for it in college. I had so much fun doing it so part of my love for it is definitely the nostalgia factor.

I also love Damn Yankees, Les Miserables and uh, Annie.

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Mine would have to be Fiddler on the Roof smile

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Phantom of the Opera, The King and I, and Cats are my favs but Sweeney Todd rates right up there too.

6. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

Wow, so many good ones to choose from, but the one that resonates with me is, Cats. The song Memory gets me everytime!!

7. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

Spring Awakening

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

Phantom of the Opera~
    Chicago~ 

so many..
    old ones like
    Carousel

Saturday Night Fever, does that count?

9. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Rent.
    Just kidding, Rent sucks!
    Rocky Horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rent sucks. . r u kidding????

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

The music kind of sucks, but I really love Paint your Wagon. Lee Marvin is so dam funny!

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Hair.

12. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

The Wizard of Oz

13. Verne A. profile image60
    Verne A.posted 14 years ago

I love Rent! They're staging it in the Philippines this January. My friends and I already bought tickets.

I also enjoyed watching West Side Story, Chicago and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Little Mermaid (not the Disney version), and the Fantastics.

Oh and Pippin is pretty good too!

I love watching musicals! ^_^

14. prettydarkhorse profile image54
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

RENT, MOULIN ROUGE and CHICAGO for me

15. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I loved Brigadoon - time for a revival - also Cats and Carousel and West Side Story and South Pacific

16. TamCor profile image77
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

My all time favorite is Phantom of the Opera...so far, lol...

I really liked Fiddler on the Roof--so did my son, who has introduced me to both of these...big_smile

Tammy

17. Windsweptplains profile image61
    Windsweptplainsposted 14 years ago

I really love movie musicals. I don't have a favorite, but there are many that I love for many different reasons.

Moulin Rouge! - The sets, costumes, acting, and the visuals!
    High School Musical - I think this is pure musical fun.
    The Phantom of the Opera - I love everything about this film.
    Oklahoma! - A classic.
    A Christmas Carol: The Musical - My favorite Christmas movie, starring Kelsey Grammar.
    Mamma Mia! - Again, pure musical fun!
    The Music Man - Another classic, but this is my favorite older musical movie.

18. theageofcake profile image59
    theageofcakeposted 14 years ago

I'm sticking strictly to movie musicals, but my best three would be The Wizard of Oz, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (whose music is surprisingly excellent).  Oh, and Hedwig - I'm all about the trannies.

19. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

I gotta go with the Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story close too...smile

20. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

MY FAIR LADY, starring Rex Harrison.

21. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Phantom of the Opera, Film Version

22. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

My Fair Lady (the original from Pygmalion) hands down.

23. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Phantom definitely.  I've seen it 3 times, including in London.  Also Jesus Christ Superstar.  I've seen it 4 or 5 times, including twice with Ted Neeley.

24. Sauvignon profile image61
    Sauvignonposted 14 years ago

Chicago
    Moulin Rouge
    Mamma Mia

I can't wait to see how the new one is- 'Nine'
    Comes out on Christmas day I think

25. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

My all time favorite is Newsies

26. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I saw CATS and liked it.Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar were outstanding too

27. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I'm not really a fan of musicals, but I did enjoy Chicago and loved the movie version of Mamma Mia on account of the three feisty older women.

28. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Sound of Music
    Paint Your Wagon
    Showboat
    South Pacific

29. LizzyBoo profile image60
    LizzyBooposted 14 years ago

I love musicals.

Carmen, Chicago, Phantom of the opera.

30. DaniellaWood profile image73
    DaniellaWoodposted 14 years ago

I vote Phantom of the Opera...the music's fab, but more than anything, so is Mr G Butler; he makes the film! *sigh* haha

31. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

The Sound of Music.

32. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

The Greatest Show on Earth with Charlton Heston and Jimmy Stewart

33. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

I've seen a ton of musicals growing up.  In the theater, I saw Jersey Boys in NYC and that was amazing.  Sound of Music and My Fair Lady are two of my other favorites.

34. jellydonut25 profile image60
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

South Park
    Team America
    Sweeney Todd

^^for movies

Phantom of the Opera
    Jesus Christ Superstar

^^for live theater

35. love my yorkies profile image60
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

Phantom of the Opera
    The King and I
    Brigadoon
    White Christmas

36. AnythingArtzy profile image68
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

The Sound Of Music

37. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Utz li Gutz li.

38. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

The Producers. Will Ferral as a Nazi, Freaking hillarious!!!

39. kingbyname profile image60
    kingbynameposted 14 years ago

Today of all days it would have to be Meet Me In St Louis.  A great Christmas film and a great musical.  It doesn't have as many songs as a lot of Hollywood musicals but the ones it does have are first-rate.  There is something deeply tragic about Judy Garland in this film.  What they refer to in the trade, I believe, as a three-hankie job.

At the other end of the scale - Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, where even all the dialogue is sung.

Compare, contrast, enjoy!

40. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

Being a singer, I have lots of favourite Musicals

Two of my favourites would be:  Oklahoma 

My Fair Lady

41. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

west side story

42. dfunzy profile image60
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

The Wizard of Oz
    My Fair Lady
    Oliver
    Mary Poppins

43. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

There have been a lot of beautiful Musicals written, many of them I have had roles singing in.
    My favourites are  The Sound of Music,  Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, and more recently Phantom of the Opera, in fact all musicals are lovely, are they not?  Beautybabe.

44. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 14 years ago

Miss Saigon is at the top of my list. (Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet!)

I love many of the ones already mentioned too.

45. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

The original and French, Notre Dame de Paris. I love it...

46. Mike Lickteig profile image75
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

Favorite musical?  Probably Jesus Christ, Superstar.  I liked Tommy, Grease and Godspell, also. 

In a more classic sense, Camelot is my absolute favorite.  West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof were very enjoyable.

So I guess to finally answer the question:  Jesus Christ, Superstar with Camelot a close second.

47. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Just saw Jersey Boys last week WOW! right up there with the Phantom too. smile

48. pigfish profile image61
    pigfishposted 14 years ago

Singing in the Rain.  Such a good movie/musical.  I especially love the Make 'em Laugh scene.  I'm going to go watch it again!

1. DaniellaWood profile image73
      DaniellaWoodposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeahh, I LOVE Singing in the Rain, great film! Gene Kelly is just amazing! big_smile

49. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Sweeney Todd, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Grease, Chicago, Wizard of Oz, Annie...

50. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Far too many to choose from...

South Pacific for nostalgia (met my husband while playing Bloody Mary in our highschool's production)
    Rocky Horror Picture Show for pure ridiculousness
    Putnam County Spelling Bee is my more current favorite
    Into The Woods
    Phantom
    LesMis
    Anything that I get to watch Gene Kelly dance in
    Taps is a phenomenal on screen (but tap is my favorite dance form, so I'm biased.)
    SING! is a lesser known movie-musical I enjoy
    Apparently I could go on all day... I'll stop there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)