jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

Why do some TV series get cancelled when they are good?

1. waynet profile image72
    waynetposted 6 years ago

Why do some TV series get cancelled when they are good?

TV series that I get attached to sometimes get cancelled and it's annoying......

2. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 6 years ago

I feel your frustration here. I think sometimes if they do not do well they just cancel them which i know is so annoying. Sometimes they might do them on a different channel very late at night. I normally look online to see if they have cancelled a program or just moved it. x

3. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

They're obviously not meeting figures and the show is declining. Either that or the ratings are bad.

4. Maddie Starr21 profile image59
    Maddie Starr21posted 6 years ago

Sometimes shows just don't do well in their time slot, especially if they're up against shows that have been on for ages already and don't look like they'll be getting cancelled any time soon. Happens all the time, especially with newer stuff.

5. i_am_monk profile image61
    i_am_monkposted 6 years ago

Budgeting problems or not enough views are generally the main reason.

6. banjodman profile image59
    banjodmanposted 6 years ago

That is a good question..guess I better ask Mr Nielson..smile

7. Rachelle Williams profile image91
    Rachelle Williamsposted 6 years ago

Because television today is not about what is really good, it is more about what sells - if you look at all of the nonsense on tv today, you will see that the general public does not care about quality programming.

8. Alecia Murphy profile image78
    Alecia Murphyposted 6 years ago

It's all about ratings. I have this debate a lot with people, but the time slot and promotion of a show is everything. If you love your show, you don't want to see it on Friday night because it will die. It doesn't matter the quality or anything, it's how many people who actually watch the show. I understand your pain. There have been some gems canceled way before their time.

9. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

All that matters to stations is ratings. And if it is garbage that sells-as can be seen in the huge popularity of reality shows even when they are not looking for artistic talent, then away go the shows that are scripted because it is expensive to produce them.

10. foggers profile image60
    foggersposted 6 years ago

The quality of the show does not guarantee follow on seasons.   It's all about the ratings and advertising revenues unfortunately.  It's a pity because too many shows have been cut before their time.

11. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

I'm with you. There have been a few shows recently that got cancelled before they even got a chance to get off the ground.

The Class was one of the funniest shows ever, one of the few shows that I watched regularly and was cancelled after only one season. And to make matters worse it never even got released on DVD.

12. Sunshine625 profile image94
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

Swingtown never should have been cancelled....it was a show set back  in the 70's and was a refreshing blast from the past. It lasted 2 seasons but was axed due to declining ratings sad

working