What is one movie from your childhood that you think is a "must see" for your ow

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (26 posts)
  1. nebcitygal profile image58
    nebcitygalposted 12 years ago

What is one movie from your childhood that you think is a "must see" for your own children?

2. Meisjunk profile image74
    Meisjunkposted 12 years ago

ONE? XD I've got a list! ^_^ I think Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is at the top of said list though. smile And then as many Disney movies as possible. And The Worst Witch. xD

3. J.S.Matthew profile image79
    J.S.Matthewposted 12 years ago

Although it's not as good as the book written and published by Jean Craighead George in 1959, the movie, "My Side of the Mountain" is a great story about a boy who runs away and lives off the land. He learns a lot about life, nature and himself. This is my favorite childhood book! There is a sequel (book) "The Far Side of the Mountain" which continues the story. That's my recommendation.

JSMatthew~

4. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

Lion King without a doubt. It's timeless and beautiful and anyone can relate.

5. angeladale2 profile image59
    angeladale2posted 12 years ago

I would have to say that it is "The Goonies". It was my favorite movie growing up.

6. davenmidtown profile image67
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Return of the Jedi!  without a doubt.  JSMatthews... I loved that book... My side of the mountain... did you know there is a squeal?

7. dagny roth profile image69
    dagny rothposted 12 years ago

The Never Ending Story
    The Boy Who Could Fly
    Pete's Dragon

8. TattooKitty profile image82
    TattooKittyposted 12 years ago

I know you said just one...BUT, as a child of the 80s, I have too many choices to share:
    1) Labyrinth
    2) Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
    3) The Secret of the Nimh
    4) Gremlins
    5) The Never Ending Story
    6) Muppet Treasure Island (not from 80s- but hilarious!!)

9. profile image0
    Charlene Marianoposted 12 years ago

I will make my future children watch labyrinth! This is a must see movie for all ages. It inspires me to do something good everyday.

10. Moms-Secret profile image77
    Moms-Secretposted 12 years ago

I loved The Princess Bride!  We watch it all the time.

Just introduced my girl to Jem, she loves the music.

1. thisiswriterliz profile image58
      thisiswriterlizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

the princess bride is good for boys or girls with romance, suspense, sword fights, and rodents of unusual sizes

11. profile image0
    Violeta Bocageposted 12 years ago

I've got a list too!!! A long one... wink  ok ok ok i can narrow it down to 2: The Sound of Music and Heidi.

12. emzitinasas profile image59
    emzitinasasposted 12 years ago

Disney Classics! I'm sorry I can't pick just one out of them! I love them all! smile

13. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

There were a lot of movies I enjoyed when I was growing up and some I shared with my own kids (who are now 20 and 27). I think many children's movies are timeless with themes that span the ages and cultures -- friendship, love, overcoming obstacles, and so on.

14. softhard profile image61
    softhardposted 12 years ago

Snow white and the seven dwarfs is my all time favorite. The story is beautiful and animation is also too amazing as compared to the technology available at that time.

15. manthy profile image60
    manthyposted 12 years ago

I would say where the red fern grows or Lassie - classics
    Thanks for asking

16. Escobana profile image77
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

Raiders of the lost Ark! I felt I was completely inside the movie. Loved the adventure movies anyway. So exciting!

17. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years ago

My ones are....

home alone,
    The goonies,
    Labyrinth,
    Gremlins,
    Homeward bound.
    x

18. SpikeTheLobster profile image59
    SpikeTheLobsterposted 12 years ago

I'm torn between Labyrinth and The Witches (the Roald Dahl story)...

19. Cardia profile image74
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

Definitely there would be a lot of Disney movies on my list. Some would be:
    - Mulan (my friends and I watched this at my house this weekend, and we were singing along to all of the songs!)
    - Tangled (it is just adorable!)
    - The Lion King
    - maybe the Toy Stories
    - the Back to the Future trilogy smile

20. Dumbledore profile image75
    Dumbledoreposted 12 years ago

Although musicals are no longer popular, Fiddler in the Roof was the last movie that my parents took us to and it was thoroughly enjoyable.  The movie also had a basis in History and demonstrated the reasons for the first large migration to the United States.  That migration involved Russian Jews who were targeted by the anti-semetic revolutionaries in what became the Soviet Union. 

Those same attitudes are rearing an ugly head in the Occupy Wall Street movement designed by the current administration as a method to lead the takers to hate the makers.

21. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 12 years ago

I don't want to date myself so I am just going to say any Walt Disney movie.  He was a genius and knew exactly what kids of any era wanted to see.

22. Aceblogs profile image61
    Aceblogsposted 12 years ago

Lion king and tom and jerry series , also not to forget home alone series as well . great to watch always

23. Painted Seahorse profile image91
    Painted Seahorseposted 12 years ago

Can I name more than one, please?

Star Wars trilogy
    Wizard of Oz
    Secret of NIMH
    Mary Poppins

24. BethBrown profile image80
    BethBrownposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I have "made" my children watch some of my favorite childhood films only to be told how stupid, lame, or boring they were. You'd laugh, but they aren't the cartoon classics you would think of. My "must see" movies for my children included (but not limited to), "Popeye" the movie, "Grease and Grease II", "The Sound of Music", "The Neverending Story", "Josie and The PussyCats", "Sheena of The Jungle", "Back To The Beach", "Footloose", "Night of The Comet", and others. I can't believe I am admitting this. smile

25. zoey24 profile image77
    zoey24posted 12 years ago

Secret Garden, Never ending story, The Goonies, problem Child, Annie, Splash, All Disneys, Marry Poppins, Oliver Twist, Labyrinth (have that on dvd and my 7yr old loves it). And of course that one film that i watched over and over again and drove my own parents Crazy with........Grease lol smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)